today I was called a bad influence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am 49 years old and today I was called a bad influence( on kids) for the first time in my life. I went to a family Thanksgiving on my wifes side and took a single bottle of beer that I had bottled from my kegs for my brother in law to sample. The house we were in was a preacher and his wife and i KNOW the preacher has no issue and I even asked the wifes permission. when I got the bottle out to pour a small bit for my brother in law she told us to take it outside because it was a bad influence...a single beer that was just being sampled ( flip top) makes me a bad influence.... there was no one there with a drinking issue or anything and I even asked before bringing it in.....

It sounds like you did everything with good intentions. Brush it off, enjoy the holiday.

Sorry to hear

I think the issue is more that the person who called you a bad influence has a bit of a warped picture of alcohol. Just take it with a grain of salt as a belief someone else. What was the beer by the way?

I remember when I told my wife I was taking up homebrewing again after a 20 + year break. She looked at me, rolled hers eyes and said perfect timing now that we have two teenage boys 13 and 14. I agreed to buy tap locks.

This is what could happen if you bring beer to a Preachers house!!!

rochefort460.jpg

Who exactly said to take it outside cuz you were a bad influence? Was the the hostess? Or your wife? (it's not clear; you just said "she", and it didn't sound like you were talking about your wife) Anyone else, tell them to mind their own business.

She was out-of-line, not you -- but if it was the hostess you just say "yes ma'am" and remember for next time that you're not really welcome in her house, and she's not welcome in yours.

Always found it funny that most religions teach "thou shall not judge" yet the more religious the more judgemental most are. As others have said, either just avoid going over again or if you really care about them and don't want that uncomfortable feeling just don't bring any of your beer over anymore. Invite the preacher over to your place if he'd like to try your beer.

Rev.

Hang in there. My inlaws ran the strictest house for holiday gathering until the "outlaws" as we call ourselves started exerting our presence. Now we can openly enjoy wine. I still sneak around with the flask... but it's all good. Just takes time.

.....should have responded with "you're the bad influence, religion has murdered more people than any other cause in world history."

Pretty sure this is not true, but anyways I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember that that household is not a place for you and is judgmental. If you were my dad you would be a "good influence" because I could have learned how to brew beer 12 years ago and would probably own my own brewery by now.

The story of this "Jesus" fellow is that his 1rst publicly performed miracle as an adult was "turning water into wine"

IMHO most Christians in America are completely clueless.
The "temperance movement" basically demonised alcohol which has been a staple in pretty much every civilised society sinse creation.It also had the ever so fun side affect of people thiking that imposing thier beliefs upon others at the point of a gun (govt laws/police force) are just fine and dandy.Other groups have a similar line of thinking such as "ISIS" over in the middle east.
I am truly sorry to hear that your family members suck @$$.
Perhaps next year have your brew club members over for dinner instead.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the hostess.

Christians value sharing God's gifts, bringing only a single beer doesn't reflect that too well...

Obviously I am joking, I would just let it roll. I lived in the South for years, some of those folks clearly never read the many Gospel parables about wine, vineyards, etc., not to mention the aforementioned Wedding Wine Miracle.

If you're going to believe the bible, you can't overlook parts of it...take the log out of your own eye before you take the speck out of your brother's eye.

The story of this "Jesus" fellow is that his 1rst publicly performed miracle as an adult was "turning water into wine"

IMHO most Christians in America are completely clueless.
The "temperance movement" basically demonised alcohol which has been a staple in pretty much every civilised society sinse creation.It also had the ever so fun side affect of people thiking that imposing thier beliefs upon others at the point of a gun (govt laws/police force) are just fine and dandy.Other groups have a similar line of thinking such as "ISIS" over in the middle east.
I am truly sorry to hear that your family members suck @$$.
Perhaps next year have your brew club members over for dinner instead.

Not ALL Christians have the silly belief that all alcohol is evil and forbidden. Are ALL dumb hicks from Arkansas unable to spell or is that just you?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am 49 years old and today I was called a bad influence( on kids) for the first time in my life. I went to a family Thanksgiving on my wifes side and took a single bottle of beer that I had bottled from my kegs for my brother in law to sample. The house we were in was a preacher and his wife and i KNOW the preacher has no issue and I even asked the wifes permission. when I got the bottle out to pour a small bit for my brother in law she told us to take it outside because it was a bad influence...a single beer that was just being sampled ( flip top) makes me a bad influence.... there was no one there with a drinking issue or anything and I even asked before bringing it in.....

Maybe what she really said was that she had "bad influenza" and was being respectful and didn't want to sneeze in or near your beer. What a gal!

I've also heard it put this way:

What's the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist?

Methodists talk to each other in the liquor store.

The Utah joke is:

You can't invite one Mormon fishing, you have to invite two.

If you invite just one, they drink all your beer. If you invite two, they both make sure the other one doesn't drink any of your beer.

Sounds like they're just uptight folks. Brush it off if you can.

They are invited to my house to experience what a real "bad influence " is with my drinking buddies. Then maybe they'll lighten up on you :)

It was the preachers wife... her house so I just set the beer back in the fridge and let it go........ I will not be back there.........

That is the correct approach IMO. Despite her being asked beforehand about the beer, it's still her house. As for the bad influence, we should all be so lucky!

Cheers, and keep brewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have been called a "menace to the neighborhood" and "evil". This was after my Maibock party, where my 8% Maibock was so mellow it went down like a 4% lager. People drank like it was 1/2 the alcohol despite my constant warnings. They all went home well and truly toasted...

You took the high road OHIOSTEVE. That makes you the better person then a judgmental, hypocritical religious person who probably has a wine stash somewhere in her house.

You took the high road OHIOSTEVE. That makes you the better person then a judgmental, hypocritical religious person who probably has a wine stash somewhere in her house.

LOL @ calling her judgmental.

OhioSteve; I would laugh it off and not be upset about it. I think it's pretty funny.

I don't get something here: You asked beforehand, and the hostess said it was ok. Then you take the bottle out and she berates you for being a bad influence? Was this said in front of everyone or was it said so that it was only between the two of you? She's either a confused person or she purposely told you to bring it so she could "make and example" of you in front of others (in which case she's not only a total ***** but clearly has issues). Either way: Invite the Pastor over for a beer sometime and bring it up, see what he says. I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world, but when people are rude to me I don't typically let it go. Rude people and A**Holes should be told what they are. If they don't hear it enough they will continue their behavior towards others.

we have a preacher man where I work. he loves IPA's. unfortunately for him, some of the elders in his church hold onto the idea that alcohol is evil and should not be touched. he's really got to watch what he says and does to stay a youth minister.

many years ago now, we went to my grandma's for some holiday or another. it was the first time meeting my uncles (now) late wife. we had a lot to talk about since she used to hang with mods/punks/skins when she was young in CA. my uncle, nor most of the rest of my very uptight family, did not approve. I brought some home brews and my sister brought some of her home made wine. when my uncles wife asked about it, he says, "Yeah. That's the alcohol side of the family." in his best condescending voice. the only problem she had with it is that she couldn't drink because of medical problems. that side of my family is 98% hypocrites. judge not lest ye be judged. unless it's something you do, then you can judge all you want. especially if it's behind their back.

Back