Today’s additives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerstein

Reaction score
Wish me luck, never used UltraFlo Max before. Come to think of it, it rather sounds like prostate medication. o_O

EBB1A362-16C9-4AA3-9F43-29303CDABC83.jpeg

Jeebus, "Better Brewing Through Chemistry 101"? Woof!

Ok, so why are you using "UltraFlo Max"?
And what style of brew are you using it on?

Cheers!

i use a lot of oats in my brewing. I’m hoping a bit of this will make mashing easier. I’m going to try a 50% oat pale ale on Sunday. today is a bit of research to see it works just in general.

😂😂😂

You're showing your age with that joke.

But then so am I by laughing at it.

you might be surprised how young/old I am. But I work with a lot of older guys.

so far, it drained nice and quick. it Seems the grains did not retain as Much water as usual, but that’s very anecdotal.

For this brew, initial gravity was 14.8P, and final gravity 3-4 days later is 5.2P. That’s dry! I think I got about 73% efficiency with the Spike Solo+. Pressure fermented in a fermzilla with S-05 at 15 psi. Ambient temp about 70F. Dry hopping now, will keg probably Sunday.

1.020 SG (5.2 plato) is dry?

Just curious, I'd have thought that will be sweet for most beers. I guess all mine are dry as they are usually 1.010 plus or minus a few points.

I mostly do ales and IPA's. Haven't tried a oatmeal stout yet if that is what you brewed up.

You're showing your age with that joke.

But then so am I by laughing at it.

he said he never used it before! if he was that old, then he would say it's something he always "depends" on! ;)

and honestly, oat malt has enough husk, you don't need help sparging....

1.020 SG (5.2 plato) is dry?

Just curious, I'd have thought that will be sweet for most beers. I guess all mine are dry as they are usually 1.010 plus or minus a few points.

I mostly do ales and IPA's. Haven't tried a oatmeal stout yet if that is what you brewed up.

5.2P is non adjusted. Once you plug it into the calc, it comes out at .998SG

Adjusted for what? Is this on a refractometer, hydrometer or what tool are you measuring with?

Just trying to understand. I don't use Plato, and thought it was a straight forward formula to convert it to SG.

Well that makes sense to me now. But with any plato or sg or brix number posted, I'd assume that it was corrected to it's true value since those corrections can only be known by the person doing the measurement.

Or maybe I'm still not grasping what Plato is.

Well that makes sense to me now. But with any plato or sg or brix number posted, I'd assume that it was corrected to it's true value since those corrections can only be known by the person doing the measurement.

Or maybe I'm still not grasping what Plato is.

yes, that's my mistake. I should have corrected it before I posted it. I have to build new habits. o_O

seriously, you've never heard of UltraFlo? lol :mug:
Actually, no. Now I have. Some wacky wort-thinning enzymes, eh? With my mashtun false bottom (not your favorite, I know) I've never needed it. [Nor (so far) Depends™ 😏 but that's another thread)]

But then I've never tried using metric f-tons of oats...

See I was thinking that 1.010 is kind of sweet and 1.006-7 is dry.

Curious where you found it for homebrew scale amounts.

I didn’t Find it in small scale. I ended up with half a kilo. For this batch I dosed 1ml. I dont typically use malted oats, so no hulls.

im not saying anybody needs this, I just wanted to play with it :cool:

I didn’t Find it in small scale. I ended up with half a kilo. For this batch I dosed 1ml. I dont typically use malted oats, so no hulls.

im not saying anybody needs this, I just wanted to play with it :cool:

Yeah, it looks like the type of thing I like to experiment with, like amyloglucosidase. I still have about 998 ml of a 1 liter bottle of that sitting on a shelf in the brew area. The only UltraFlo Max I found online was 1 kg for about 35 Euros, plus overseas shipping. Might have to just settle for a 104F Beta glucan rest. ☹

Yeah, it looks like the type of thing I like to experiment with, like amyloglucosidase. I still have about 998 ml of a 1 liter bottle of that sitting on a shelf in the brew area. The only UltraFlo Max I found online was 1 kg for about 35 Euros, plus overseas shipping. Might have to just settle for a 104F Beta glucan rest. ☹

Novozyme puts this on sale for 50% off several times a year. I'll probably give a large portion of this away. I did use a whole litre of UltraFerm the past year. :rock:

Novozyme puts this on sale for 50% off several times a year. I'll probably give a large portion of this away. I did use a whole litre of UltraFerm the past year. :rock:
UltraFerm by White Labs actually is amyloglucosidase and debranches 1,4 1nd 1,6 bonds. Looking at the spec sheet for UltraFlo Max it appears to debranch 1,4 along with several others that Beta and Alpha amylase debranch, but not 1,6. White Labs sells UltraFerm for about $5 for 10 ml. I bought a liter online of amylo for about $10.

Do you use UltraFlo Max with amyloglucosidase in the same batch? It seems like it would end up very dry and quite thin, which might not be bad for an ultra lite/low cal/low carb beer, but not for a stout or a porter.

UltraFerm by White Labs actually is amyloglucosidase and debranches 1,4 1nd 1,6 bonds. Looking at the spec sheet for UltraFlo Max it appears to debranch 1,4 along with several others that Beta and Alpha amylase debranch, but not 1,6. White Labs sells UltraFerm for about $5 for 10 ml. I bought a liter online of amylo for about $10.

Do you use UltraFlo Max with amyloglucosidase in the same batch? It seems like it would end up very dry and quite thin, which might not be bad for an ultra lite/low cal/low carb beer, but not for a stout or a porter.

I am using both at the same time. I'm doing the low carb beer thing, so I've been experimenting with adapting various beer styles to dry. I've had really good luck mashing low and using UltraFerm to increase convert all the non-fermentable sugarsw. I've been making beers that have a theoretical 6 to 9 grams carbs per serving. I've had one or two that end up in the 5 gram range.

I've been experimenting with oats and wheat to try and bring back the body. I feel like I've had pretty good luck. Actually this technique works better with stouts than IPA in my opinion.

I am using both at the same time. I'm doing the low carb beer thing, so I've been experimenting with adapting various beer styles to dry. I've had really good luck mashing low and using UltraFerm to increase convert all the non-fermentable sugarsw. I've been making beers that have a theoretical 6 to 9 grams carbs per serving. I've had one or two that end up in the 5 gram range.

I've been experimenting with oats and wheat to try and bring back the body. I feel like I've had pretty good luck. Actually this technique works better with stouts than IPA in my opinion.

You might be on to something here. I toyed with a few dry/lite beers a while back that actually weren't bad. With a small grist bill and O.G.s in the low 1.030s, I was able to eek out F.G.s around 0.998 using amylo and Gulo yeast. More flavor than Michelob Ultra, but still calculated carbs in the 3~5 range and Kcal 90~95 for a 12 oz pour. The problem for me was lack of body and mouthfeel. Adding oats and wheat as adjuncts might help cure that as long as the UltraFlo and/or amylo didn't reduce the glucans too much. Might be a good method for brewing a good session IPA as well.

Last edited:
Like the avatar. Did ya' land short or overshoot the touchdown area?🛩
Back about 1983. Precautionary landing at about 2:00 am when I realized that I didn't have enough fuel to make it to the airport. I was on my way home by myself after riding with my friend. Prior to that leg, I was just a passenger so I could bring the airplane back home since my friend was going to be at Ft. Rucker AL in helicopter school.

Should have been more than enough fuel since it was topped off in Mobile AL on the way to Enterprise AL. However when my gauges were showing lower than I knew they should on the way home, I pulled the fuel ticket my friend had left with me and saw that there was no way the tanks had been topped off in Mobile as my friend had told them to do. I figure they must have only filled one tank.

So with no moon, less than 1500' of overcast sky and only the lights of a truck in the driveway of a nearby house showing a field beyond, I put it down. In the overgrown brush in the field I stopped in what I remember as only being less than 100 feet. No damage whatsoever to the plane nor did I soil my underwear.

So I had the field bush hogged from corner to corner, added fuel to the tanks and flew it out a couple days later. FAA said that since I didn't run out of fuel then they had no reason to consider it anything but an incident.

I did learn from then on that even when I'm not the PIC but later will be the PIC, to do my own preflight just as if I was responsible for the plane the entire time I was riding in it.

Last edited:
My Father-in-Law was a doctor.

Q: "What's the most dangerous thing in aviation?"
A: "A doctor in a split tail Bonanza." (a.k.a., "Split tailed doctor killer.")

He had a fractional ownership of a Navion back in the day with three airline pilots. He was a great man, and very accomplished in many things. Aviation wasn't one of them. He had a bit of a blind spot when it came to flying. At times he'd regale me with stories of him and the Navion, running low on fuel over the mountains in northern Arkansas, VFR encounters with IFR weather, etc., that would raise the hair on the back of my neck, mostly due to his lack of self-awareness in the severity of these episodes.

He was also an avid, yet awkward, golfer. One day we were playing a casual 18 holes on a pretty little course adjacent to a small airport. As we approached the green on a par 4 hole surrounded by numerous sand traps, he commented,

"Did I ever tell you about the time I was in this sand trap and couldn't get out? It all started on my approach," he continued. "I over shot the runway, landed long and ended up in this very trap! That's when the other three guys asked to buy me out of the joint ownership."

Ya' THINK? How crude! Shoulda' asked the group putting on the hole if he could play through.

On a more serious note, I think all pilots have some recollection of times when "but for the Grace of God....." moments cause you to wake up in a cold sweat. The lucky ones of us survive and learn from our mistakes.

On a more serious note, I think all pilots have some recollection of times when "but for the Grace of God....." moments cause you to wake up in a cold sweat. The lucky ones of us survive and learn from our mistakes.

There should be a thread for this. Got so many great ‘sure we’re gonna die’ stories from a couple years as a freight dog in an old Aztruck.

Back