To strain or not??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
I'm attempting a "Christmas flavored" stout and will be adding things like cinnamon sticks, ginger root and so on. Do these things get strained before adding to my fermenter, or do they stay in during fermentation?? I will not be transferring to a secondary.

Also, what is the "recommended" ferm. time for a stout?

Thanks for the input!:tank:

brewnskiinvt said:
I'm attempting a "Christmas flavored" stout and will be adding things like cinnamon sticks, ginger root and so on. Do these things get strained before adding to my fermenter, or do they stay in during fermentation?? I will not be transferring to a secondary.

Also, what is the "recommended" ferm. time for a stout?

Thanks for the input!:tank:

I personally strain all my beers as they go into the fermenter. As for time.... Enough time to ferment out and let the yeast clean up. So about 17-21 days.

I personally strain all my beers as they go into the fermenter. As for time.... Enough time to ferment out and let the yeast clean up. So about 17-21 days.

+1 strain it out. And generally the stronger, darker the beer the longer you let it condition. I would say at least 3-4 weeks.

It depends. Will they float or sink? Are these things small enough that they are going to clog your autosiphon when you go to rack into the bottling bucket? If so, I'd put them in a sanitized nylon hop sack.

What are you planning on using to sanitize these items that you're planning on adding to the fermenter? Cheap vodka would be my first choice.

I strain all my beers going into the fermenter. This would include the spices if you did them the last 15 minutes or so of the boil. I still top off my chilled wort in the fermenter,taking it down about another 10 degrees. So I still get about 2L of trub & cold break right away. But over a day or two,it compacts down to about 3/8-1/2". Less trub equals more beer in bottles.

I generally do not strain but with those additions I would remove them. If I were to do that beer I would ferment in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle condition for at least 2 months. I did a winter ale (high gravity) in December 2011. It was really harsh until around July 2012. I still have some and they are even better now.

thanks for the input. Nice to see a Rhode Islander on here...I was born and raised in Rhody. Just left in January to come to Vermont

Latest posts

Back