To start over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillsboro

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been on this site almost everyday for a while trying to learn as much as possible and now I'm making the switch to all grain. Thanks for all your help thus far.

I've got a similar question to many people on here and I hate to ask this but I seemingly obviously have a leaky mash tun. I built mine with a 48 quart rectangular cooler and a series of 3/8" fittings. i.e. ball valve, washer, nipple, cooler o-ring, washer, coupler to a stainless braid.

When I was fiddling around with the fittings, I stretched out the original hole where the fittings go. I'm currently debating whether I should use some aquarium sealant, try another silicone o-ring or just simply start over. The leak seems fairly substantial - about 1 drip every 2 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, a different o-ring would help. Possibly a bigger washer might be needed too. They have a dizzying array of o-ring/gasket choices. One of them will do the job.

I've had good luck with the flat silicone washers. They cover more surface area than the red o-rings that come with a lot of the weldless kits. I use one on the outside and one on the inside.

You can buy a 12" square sheet of silicon gasket material for about $10 from amazon or elsewhere and you can make it into any shape or size gasket. Works great for all my weldless connections.

Another thing you could try is to use a baby bottle nipple. You cut off the nipple part and use the base. They are silicone, food safe, and can be heated. I originally got the idea from a post on HBT and have used it - it works.

Another thing you could try is to use a baby bottle nipple. You cut off the nipple part and use the base. They are silicone, food safe, and can be heated. I originally got the idea from a post on HBT and have used it - it works.

Great idea.

This forum is awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Latest posts

Back