to sanitize or to throw away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
hm, I got a situation here. a year ago I brewed a batch of beer from the extract and left it fermenting in a plastic bucket. it was summer, quite hot, so the batch got infected.

When I noticed it's infected I forgot about it completely. It's been a year now, and I could use one extra fermentor for my future batches, so do you suggest I should sanitize it and use it again, or should I just throw it away and buy a new one?

If I fill it with water and bleach and then add some vinegar is it really going to kill all the bacteria and other stuff?

I mean I'd rather buy a new one if I have to fear from new infection in this one, if you know what I mean?

please help

new bucket.....cheap.

losing a new batch by fermenting in an infected bucket.....stupid.

Go buy a new bucket. ;)

new bucket.....cheap.

losing a new batch by fermenting in an infected bucket.....stupid.

Go buy a new bucket. ;)

sure I agree. but it would be stupid to buy a new one if it is possible to completely "clean" the existing one....

that's why I ask....

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to clean that bucket to sanitary again. A strong bleach solution for a good length of time... What condition is the plastic in? Is it scoured? Any places that can harbor nasties?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to clean that bucket to sanitary again. A strong bleach solution for a good length of time... What condition is the plastic in? Is it scoured? Any places that can harbor nasties?

no, actually it's been used less than 10 times. I really took care of the cloth and solutions I used for cleaning, so it shouldn't have any significant physical damage like visible scratches or sth like that....

but, the fact is that infected beer is sitting in it for over a year now....

no, actually it's been used less than 10 times. I really took care of the cloth and solutions I used for cleaning, so it shouldn't have any significant physical damage like visible scratches or sth like that....

but, the fact is that infected beer is sitting in it for over a year now....

I'd personally clean it and use it as long as it passes the sniff test after cleaning and sanitation. The worst that could happen would be that you get another infection (though that is unlikely). OR - you take this opportunity to get a BetterBottle instead of a fermenting bucket. :)

In my home brewery buckets last one year, old ones get "demoted" to cleaning duty. I always need buckets for something, cleaning solutions, emptying grain into from the mash tun.....SO don't throw it away

But with the cost of a bucket buy yourself some peace of mind, you probably are ok but why stress about it for a few bucks.

Back