To Pasteurize Or Not To Pasteurize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akillys

Reaction score
I made a ginger beer and let it ferment for a week. I then racked into a carboy with one gallon of apple juice. It sat in the secondary for about a week and FG was 1.008 over 3 days. I did use priming sugar at about 3/4 of a cup for a 5 gallon batch. My Question is, should these be pasteurized or did I not use enough apple juice in a 5 gallon batch to warrant pasteurization?

From what you have described, the suspended yeast had a week to consume the sugars in the apple juice. Plus, the 1.008 was a stable FG. Why do you feel the need to pasteurize?

Seems ok to me. I dont normally pasturize if adding my fruit or juices to a finished brew. There is alcohol now, so no need...imho. When adding to primary, yes...secondary or bottling, no. I have done this numerous times with no ill effects. RDWHAHB! :mug:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Home Brew mobile app

Cool thanks, I just don't want to reach for one and lose my hand to a bottle bomb. I figure better safe than sorry. It was my first brew and did not know what to expect by adding the apple juice. Thanks again.

Tell ya what, you best know what you are doing before attempting Pasteurize. Most have done deep research via wiki which is better than worthless by not much.

Your assignment to prevent untimely and accidental death while circling and moronically muttering "wudawudawuda" is to understand Henry's Law.

There is a sticky in the cider forum that explains it relatively well. When it comes to beers or ciders that need pasteurized, you're screwed if you do and screwed if you don't.Either way can produce bombs. I need a kegging system to avoid it all but don't have the money.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back