To much water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow99

Reaction score
Am making a extract American ipa. 5 gallon batch, I accidentally put 6 gallons of water in it. The brix is at 9 and sg is at 1.036. Is the batch going to be ok? Am afraid that I will not reach the ABV is supposed to be at 5.6 after the2nd ferment. I just brewed it 1-23-2020. Hops aremagnum 1oz, Columbus 2oz and African queen 2oz and thebegin of 2nd ferment add African queen 2oz dried. Thank u

Nothing much you can do really if you have it already fermenting. You could maybe add some Amalayse to the secondary to up the ABV a bit? But it will dry out some. But even if you dont do anything, it will be fine, you just wont hit your target ABV.

Nothing much you can do really if you have it already fermenting. You could maybe add some Amalayse to the secondary to up the ABV a bit? But it will dry out some. But even if you dont do anything, it will be fine, you just wont hit your target ABV.

it’s already in first ferment, it’s been 2hours

Skip the secondary, it's not necessary.

You are probably going to end up at rougly 3.5% ABV as it stands. Adding 2lb of sugar pushes your gravity to 1.05 and you end up at rougly 5.2% ABV. This will change the taste to be on the drier side of things. It's up to you. I am personally fine with drier beers and I'd rather up the alcohol. Any more than this amount will likely be too dry though.

If you are going to add the sugar, you can add it to your fermenter. It's fine to open the fermenter during fermentation as it's producing plenty of co2 and the yeast is active enough they will devour all the oxygen. Boil some water, add sugar, stir. Let it cool to roughly the same temperature as your wort is and pour it in with as little aeration as possible.

You can also just add more malt extract, that costs a bit more though.

if you have some dry malt extract (DME) you could add that to the fermenter.
That's probably the best. I would dissolve it in a minimum amount of hot water (say a pint), pasteurize at 150F for 10' and add it as a pourable syrup. Don't wait too long, and don't splash it in there.

Adding 1.3 pounds of Light DME should get the batch back to around 1.044.
Is 1.044 the intended recipe's gravity? It's a bit low for an IPA, more like a Session IPA.

Keep good sanitation while doing so.

If you can get 1.5 pounds of light LME from a bulk container at your homebrew shop, it would work fine too. Just thin it down a little with some hot water, and pasteurize before adding.

The brix is at 9 and sg is at 1.036. Is the batch going to be ok? Am afraid that I will not reach the ABV is supposed to be at 5.6 after the2nd ferment.

You might not have gotten a representative OG sample - it happens a lot if adding top-off water because it's hard to get it mixed in thoroughly. If the target was 5.6% ABV for 5 gallons, and you actually had 6 gallons, you should end up with about 4.7% ABV. You could consider it a session IPA.

Added sugar last night. Do I take another reading today. Thank u to everybody. So what is the difference between session ipa and American ipa.

So what is the difference between session ipa and American ipa.
Session beers are 4.5% ABV or below, it's not a beer style. Can still be an American IPA, due to the hop variety, yeast, and malts used. Just a lower ABV version of one.
Added sugar last night. Do I take another reading today.
Every time you open the fermenter you let air in. Not good for beer.

Wait until 2 days after it's done fermenting before taking another reading, and add the dry hops. Do not use a secondary. Then 3-5 days later, package it.

I would now leave it alone for 14 days or longer. You can push things and try at 7 - 10 days but if it is not finished fermenting you are taking gravity readings that are unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back