To much krausen on Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
So I made Ed Wort's Alpfelwein and was just curious if this amount of krausen is normal? I'm not upset about it, it seems to be doing quite well, just wondering what other peoples experiences were.

IMG_1962-480x360.jpg

IMG_1961-e1271985074645-360x480.jpg

That looks pretty dark. What kind of apple juice did you use? And did you use montrachet yeast as per the recipe or something else? When I use plain apple juice and montrachet I get little more than a thin 1/2" or less coating of bubbles.

I think it's just from the flash and a dark towel being behind it. It's a shop rite brand apple juice, pasteurized but it doesn't have additives or preservatives. I thru a packet of montrachet in and then washed it down with a little juice just like the instructions say.

i don't think i'm too far above 1/2", i just wasn't imagining this much from the description.

Well, it's more than I've seen on any of my batches, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I know I've read posts from others who noticed more of a krausen so it's probably just a combination the type of apple juice used and fermentation temps. For example, I've done all of mine in the 60-65 degree range, so I'm betting if it's warmer you're going to get a bigger krausen.

That does look very dark, even the krausen has a darker than usual color. Maybe just due to a darker apple juice. I have used a few different yeasts for mine and have not seen that much krausen. does'nt make it a bad thing though. only time will tell.

well i awoke to the krausen filling up all the head space in the carboy. I can see the yeast going nuts in the juice and a new layer of bubbles forming around the outside edge. I swear the only ingredient that was on the label of the juice was apple juice but maybe i was wrong. have to see how it turns out.

IMG_1967-480x360.jpg

Back