To much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
This is my standard DIPA grainbill. The last one I brewed used a combo of Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra for a total of 12 oz of hops. It turned out great. I’ve never used a full pound of hops in a 5.5 g batch before, nor have I ever used Azacca. For anyone who has used Azacca, does this seem to aggressive and should I dial it down to 12 oz total? To be honest I’m trying to make great beer and create some freezer space!
Thanks
1356CCCA-B071-4FD6-80B4-4EAB35F265FF.png

137.7 IBU?
Sounds like a good idea to me. But then again, I miss the IBU race from 5-10 years ago in craft beer.
Almost all my hops I've purchased have an alpha acid +10.
Up your IBU!
Lemme know how this turns out.

I salute the moxey, but honestly, unless a face-ripper is desired I think 12 ounces would be plenty.
I'd definitely shove the 10 and 5 additions to the steep phase - and cut the dry hops in half.

I do 10 gallon batches and typically burn 24 ounces of juice hops for my neipas and trust me, as long as you are obsessive about post-fermentation O2 exposure, that's a total juice bomb 'til the last keg kicks.

btw...you've never brewed with Azacca? Have you at least tried a commercial beer featuring that hop? I found the one commercial example featuring that strain was a bit harsher than I enjoy (and I've brewed single-hopped Chinook brews that I loved :D)...

Cheers!

It's not a pound, it's 17 oz!

A few observations:
The temp of your steep/hopstand hops is very important. What do you have in mind?
That temp (or temps, you can use more than one) affects the IBUs, lower at lower temps, while flavor and aroma contributions are higher at lower temps. For IPAs I usually do 2 whirlpool/hopstand additions at different temps for different times. For example the first at 170F for 10' then chill and add the 2nd at 150F for 30'. Then chill to ferm temps. Hops remain in the wort.

1 pack of US-05 may be a bit skimpy for a Double IPA (1.070-1.080?). I'd use 1.5 or 2 packs.
Do you love Azacca?

Nice catch on my shady math! Thanks for the feedback. I’ve actually never ever had Azacca but I have a pound taking up space in my freezer. I also will be pitching onto a cake from a pale ale. I’ve never tried multiple steep additions but I will look into it. I usually add at about 190° and steep for 20-30 minutes. I will also look at reducing down to 12 oz and moving more of the hops to post boil.

Any suggestions? I have citra, mosaic, centennial, Amarillo, FF and simcoe. I just always like to do a single hop beer when I’m using it for the first time to really get a feel for it.

If you have any other hops around, I think Azacca would do much better with a companion or 2.
Well, we know he has Magnum. But that's probably not great for dry hopping. Get some lactose in there!

I just always like to do a single hop beer when I’m using it for the first time to really get a feel for it.
Nothing wrong with single hop beers, some fare better than others. They're interesting, but rarely surpass those brewed with one or 2 other hops.
Alternatively, you could make a small(er) batch of single hop Azacca on the side. Just make a gallon or 2 of extra wort. Doesn't take all that much longer.

Ok I decided to blend with mosaic and citra. Grain bill is the same as OP. New hop schedule below. Double dry hop with each charge having half of each hop
D4D5D8AF-17F6-49CF-A7A1-6FF2229B3637.png

Those 3 are a nice combination!
But why the 4 oz of Mosaic dry hop if you want Azacca to be the feature?

Depending on the software you're using, the IBUs of those hopstand hops may not be calculated correctly. AFAIK only BS3 uses a fairly reliable model to attempt to calculate those.

That's still a boatload of hops...

No other reason than to use the last of my aging mosaic. I may reverse it and go with 4 oz of Azacca and 2 oz mosaic, which was my initial adjustment. I use BS3. I’ve done a similar DIPA with 1 oz Magnum at 60 minutes and 12 total oz of simcoe, Amarillo and mosaic that turned out nice. Still 2 weeks to brew day but I’ll update when it’s ready.

It's not a pound, it's 17 oz!

A few observations:
The temp of your steep/hopstand hops is very important. What do you have in mind?
That temp (or temps, you can use more than one) affects the IBUs, lower at lower temps, while flavor and aroma contributions are higher at lower temps. For IPAs I usually do 2 whirlpool/hopstand additions at different temps for different times. For example the first at 170F for 10' then chill and add the 2nd at 150F for 30'. Then chill to ferm temps. Hops remain in the wort.

1 pack of US-05 may be a bit skimpy for a Double IPA (1.070-1.080?). I'd use 1.5 or 2 packs.
Do you love Azacca?
You don’t strain your hops?

Finally got this brewed. 9 oz in, 8 oz to go. Having trouble hitting my OG for bigger IPAs for some reason?. Last one was 10 points low and this one was 8 points low.

Ive run with california ale yeast for single hop pale ales. Came out clean and great. what temps did you ferment this bad boy at? How long did it take to FG?

Latest posts

Back