To much head...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
Normally that wouldn't be a bad thing, but I recently started kegging. I keg conditioned my first keg while waiting for my co2 to arrive. It was primed with 2 oz of sugar for a week. The beer was over 7 weeks old so it was done for sure. Anyhow, I forced carbed it for 2 days at 30 psi. I'm using a picnik tap with 3 foot of 3/16 line. I'm serving at 10 psi, and am having serious issues with foam. I have a half glass of foam. Any idea what's hoping on?

Well I tapped it right away and it flat, I'm willing to bet your right with the line. The picnic taps are a temp solution. I'm going to be building a koffin for my keezer in the next few weeks so I was thinking about running 7 ft of 1/4 per tap. Is that what's recommended?

Well I tapped it right away and it flat, I'm willing to bet your right with the line. The picnic taps are a temp solution. I'm going to be building a koffin for my keezer in the next few weeks so I was thinking about running 7 ft of 1/4 per tap. Is that what's recommended?

No, not 1/4" inch! I just changed out my lines, and I have over 10' of 3/16" line to pour a carb level of 2.5 volumes.

Your lines are WAY too short, and at 30 psi for two days, it may be overcarbed a bit besides.

To fix this, purge and reset to 10 psi and see if that helps. You'll still got a lot of foaming with 3' lines though. The lines will work like a fire hose in that way. A longer line has more resistance, so that would be a great fix.

No, not 1/4" inch! I just changed out my lines, and I have over 10' of 3/16" line to pour a carb level of 2.5 volumes.

Your lines are WAY too short, and at 30 psi for two days, it may be overcarbed a bit besides.

To fix this, purge and reset to 10 psi and see if that helps. You'll still got a lot of foaming with 3' lines though. The lines will work like a fire hose in that way. A longer line has more resistance, so that would be a great fix.

Yep. Sounds like you're overcarbed and your hose is too short.:D

Some time ago, I switched from the original 5ft 3/16" lines that came with my keezer setup to 12ft 3/16" lines and glad that I did. 38*F and 11 psi are the current settings and I generally let a keg slow carb over a 10-14 day period. The longer lines make it much easier to dial in the desired amount of carbonation and head.

Ok so I said 3 foot but it's actually 5. I basically over carbed the crap out of it... So when you guys force carb I'm assuming you normally don't prime first which might have been my first mistake. What pressure do you force carb at and for how long?

5 feet still isn't enough. Go for at least 10.

Many people on this forum, myself included, advocate the "set and forget" method of carbonation. Set the keg at the proper pressure to achieve your desired carb level (use a chart like this) and then don't touch it until the keg is kicked. It should be fully carbed after a couple weeks. If you naturally primed, it might just need a day or two in the kegerator to let everything chill.

You can sugar prime first for a few weeks at room temp before chilling and putting on gas to serve if you like.

I normally just carb by the "set it and forget it" method at 10-12psi service pressure for a couple weeks at 38*F. If you're in a hurry, you can hit a chilled keg with 30psi for 24 hours, then drop it to service pressure for a couple of days.

Beer line is not that expensive. Change to 12ft lines and then adjust from there.

Yeah I'll switch it out this weekend. 3/16 is where it's at then? Guys at LHBS suggested 1/4 but the kit I bought online came with 3/16. I guess if 12 is to long I can alway cut it shorter

Latest posts

Back