To keg or not to keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg or Bottles for first timer?

• KEG. buy the kegging equipment cuz you'll eventually buy it anyway

• Bottles. Its cheaper and better to start off with

• Other. please explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
None of my friends drink pop top bottles, so when I started brewing beer last year I had to get my own bottles. I spent $60 on Sam Adams that I wouldn't of bought if it wasn't for the bottles, and that was for one batch. Of course I had to brew again while that was priming so there's another $60. I could of gotten a economy ball lock kit from adventures in home brew for $100 to cover the 1st batch. They sell loose handle kegs for $28. So for $15, with shipping, more I could of kegged my first two batches.

I buy bottles with beer in them that I like. That way, I am not actually spending money on bottles, they are free after I empty them - I am paying for the beer.

I bottled my first few batches, then i got a keg and a simple plastic tap on the end of the tubing, didnt really cost much, that i kept on the refrigerator doiwnstairs
Now i have the converted chest freezer.
I should not cost much when you do keg, start out simple and add more kegs, then build your own kegerator.

I buy bottles with beer in them that I like. That way, I am not actually spending money on bottles, they are free after I empty them - I am paying for the beer.

Yeah, that one didn't make sense to me either. When I decided to start brewing, I just saved the bottles from the store bought beer I was already drinking. Had to stop after a while. My consumption rate was higher than my HB ramp up rate... ;)

At a party recently, someone offered me some cases of bottles they found in their basement, and I had to decline. I have too many already, especially since we mostly keg these days. It's funny how you go from desperately looking for bottles to trying to figure out how to off load some.

So OP. After 2 months, where are you with brewing/bottling/kegging??
I went the bottle route.
did two batches and looking at doing another batch next week.

only issue i've run in with the bottles was I used some sierra nevada bottles (the stubby ones) and I dont think it was the best fit for the caps. I drank a stout out of it a couple days ago and it tasted slightly oxidized. But had another from a different bottle and it was fine.

So i'll stick with bottles for now.
Especially while doing extract kits. When/if i get to all grain or at least making my own recipes with extract I'll look more into kegging.

it is pretty pricey but with looking around and taking time i'm sure i can find decent deals.

Yeah, that one didn't make sense to me either. When I decided to start brewing, I just saved the bottles from the store bought beer I was already drinking. Had to stop after a while. My consumption rate was higher than my HB ramp up rate... ;)

Same here. I eventually ended up tossing about 75 bottles, as I now keg, and already had 55 empties if I decided to ever bottle. And probably close to 50 stubbies.

I'm still saving bombers, and I can't stop that! :off:

I went the bottle route.
did two batches and looking at doing another batch next week.

only issue i've run in with the bottles was I used some sierra nevada bottles (the stubby ones) and I dont think it was the best fit for the caps. I drank a stout out of it a couple days ago and it tasted slightly oxidized. But had another from a different bottle and it was fine.

So i'll stick with bottles for now.
Especially while doing extract kits. When/if i get to all grain or at least making my own recipes with extract I'll look more into kegging.

it is pretty pricey but with looking around and taking time i'm sure i can find decent deals.

Not sure what extract vs all grain has to do with kegging but I don't disagree with your decision. Kegging can be expensive and until you HB for a while, you really don't know if you're going to stick with it or not. So unless you have more money than sense, brew and bottle for a while and see how things progress. Spend your money on improving your brewing equipment. If things keep progressing and you get hooked on HB'ing like many of us do, take another look at kegging again later.

Good on you OP.

Happy brewing!

:mug:

Same here. I eventually ended up tossing about 75 bottles, as I now keg, and already had 55 empties if I decided to ever bottle. And probably close to 50 stubbies.

I'm still saving bombers, and I can't stop that! :off:

Let it go Nick! Let it go!! LOL...

Maybe one of these days, I'll let go of the 5 cases of bottles I have stored right now. ;)

I ended up doing both for my last two batches. 6 gallon batch...bottled the first gallon and kegged the balance. Looking forward to trying them side-by-side.

Coming from a die-hard bottler, good god what was I thinking! Kegging is so easy. For now, I can fit a 5-gallon + co2 tank and about 6-8 bottles in my mini-fridge. picnic tap. I add kegs for gift ideas for my birthday, fathers day, etc.

I'll get a keezer or dedicated kegerator some day but I'm in no rush. I was just so OCD at cleaning and sanitizing bottles that bottling took forever. Even for my 1 gallon batches.

Learning curve is minimal at best, no harder than learning to bottle.

I assume you mean 4 or 5 batches/kegs?? You must have a leak. I have a 3 tap keezer and a 5lb tank will last me 7-8 batches/kegs. Which for my consumption rate means about every 6 months I need a refill.

Yes, I mean 4 or 5 batches. I've check for leaks and can't find any. My regulator says I'm getting a full 5lbs too. I thought my gas place was ripping me off but the tank seems to be full. IDK... I'll try remmy's 90 seconds at 30 psi then putting it down to serving pressure.

What I've been doing for the past 2 batches is leaving it at 30 psi for a few days then cutting the gas totally. After another couple days it's to the point where the beer flows nicely. After that, if it needs more gas, I just put 5 psi on it for a few seconds to get the pressure back then turn the gas off again. Might just be a waste of time though... idk. I'll try what remmy suggested on the next tank and see if she goes longer.

Yes, I mean 4 or 5 batches. I've check for leaks and can't find any. My regulator says I'm getting a full 5lbs too. I thought my gas place was ripping me off but the tank seems to be full. IDK... I'll try remmy's 90 seconds at 30 psi then putting it down to serving pressure.

What I've been doing for the past 2 batches is leaving it at 30 psi for a few days then cutting the gas totally. After another couple days it's to the point where the beer flows nicely. After that, if it needs more gas, I just put 5 psi on it for a few seconds to get the pressure back then turn the gas off again. Might just be a waste of time though... idk. I'll try what remmy suggested on the next tank and see if she goes longer.

Don't leave the gas line pressurized after charging the beer head space. Kegs are pretty good at retaining pressure; gas lines and associated fittings are not.

Don't leave the gas line pressurized after charging the beer head space. Kegs are pretty good at retaining pressure; gas lines and associated fittings are not.

I have to disagree there. In order to carb your beer in the keg, you need to put pressure on it for an extended period of time. If your connections are connected and working properly you should not be leaking at 30 psi.

Not sure what extract vs all grain has to do with kegging but I don't disagree with your decision. Kegging can be expensive and until you HB for a while, you really don't know if you're going to stick with it or not. So unless you have more money than sense, brew and bottle for a while and see how things progress. Spend your money on improving your brewing equipment. If things keep progressing and you get hooked on HB'ing like many of us do, take another look at kegging again later.

Good on you OP.

Happy brewing!

it has nothing to do with it really.
but doing extract kits, I dont really feel like they're my beers.

I have no idea how various grains and hops taste and what they bring to a
beer.

So it may be illogical, but if i'm gonna go all out with kegging equipment it'd have to be for a beer that is "Mine" and is excellent.

I'm patient enough to wait to get to that point. Or if I dont just keep bottling :tank:

there is something really cool about watching your beer carb up in the bottle.
and seeing that sediment at the bottom and knowing science was going on in my closet as I slept
that now allows me to drink haha

I have to disagree there. In order to carb your beer in the keg, you need to put pressure on it for an extended period of time. If your connections are connected and working properly you should not be leaking at 30 psi.

Not in my experience, especially if your beer and CO2 are at serving temperatures. I just charge the head space to 30-35 psi every few days for a week or so. It also depends on head space volume, but if your beer level is lower than your gas post, it's enough.

Since adopting this technique I have not yet needed to replace a tank (15+ kegs on a 10# charge).

beer.

So it may be illogical, but if i'm gonna go all out with kegging equipment it'd have to be for a beer that is "Mine" and is excellent.

I'm patient enough to wait to get to that point. Or if I dont just keep bottling :tank:

and seeing that sediment at the bottom and knowing science was going on in my closet as I slept

Sounds like you're ready to start making extract recipes with steeped grains instead of kits.

The main thing I dislike about bottling is sharing it. You have explain not to drink the yeast - pour it in a glass, watch for the yeast. Then you have to watch to be sure they aren't drinking from the bottle anyway. But I like the fact that it's "rustic" with the yeast in the bottle.

Brush a little starsan on all your connections and see if you can find the leaking culprit by the bubbles.

Are you using the little nylon washers at all the swivel nut connections?

TPW100__71699.1360849334.120.120.jpg

Not in my experience, especially if your beer and CO2 are at serving temperatures. I just charge the head space to 30-35 psi every few days for a week or so. It also depends on head space volume, but if your beer level is lower than your gas post, it's enough.

Since adopting this technique I have not yet needed to replace a tank (15+ kegs on a 10# charge).

Would be surprised if you didn't end up with over carbonated beer using that work around. I would troubleshoot your system and resolve the leak(s).

Are there washers where there should be washers (swivel nuts, regulator to tank)? Checked the keg seal(s) for leaks and/or used keg lube? You have to be more stubborn than the leak in order to find it.

With a little attention and proper setup, these systems should hold constant pressure without leaks.

beer.

HB'ing is a great blend of art, science and DIY. That's what makes it so appealing to many. Logic is great but follow your gut when making decisions in how you pursue this great hobby. You seem to be off to a good start.

Would be surprised if you didn't end up with over carbonated beer using that work around. I would troubleshoot your system and resolve the leak(s).

Are there washers where there should be washers (swivel nuts, regulator to tank)? Checked the keg seal(s) for leaks and/or used keg lube? You have to be more stubborn than the leak in order to find it.

With a little attention and proper setup, these systems should hold constant pressure without leaks.

Nah, I've never had an issue with carbonation. Once the beer is carbed I reduce it to serving pressure and it's fine.

And I don't think my system leaks anymore, it's just something I do for an extra measure of security. You know, fool me twice, shame on me. Honestly, it's not a big deal to open and close the tank valve a few times.

About the bottle aging thing - I know a lot of folks that will prime beers in a keg. I haven't done it personally but I am very interested in it.

I also have like 8 kegs now and I'm already preparing my Irish reds and some lagers for next year.

There's zero reason you can't age things in a keg. A keg is just an oversized bottle.

About the bottle aging thing - I know a lot of folks that will prime beers in a keg. I haven't done it personally but I am very interested in it.

I also have like 8 kegs now and I'm already preparing my Irish reds and some lagers for next year.

There's zero reason you can't age things in a keg. A keg is just an oversized bottle.

Only that it ties up a keg for an extended period. But if you have extras, that makes sense.

I bottled a patersbier that I made because I thought it wouldn't be that popular, so I didn't want to tie up a keg. Turns out that everyone that tries it likes it a lot. Next time I make it, I'll keg it.

I bottled a patersbier that I made because I thought it wouldn't be that popular, so I didn't want to tie up a keg. Turns out that everyone that tries it likes it a lot. Next time I make it, I'll keg it.

That's funny. I was going to follow the same logic but ended up doing the opposite for a pumpkin ale. I thought; that's not going to be a daily drinker so i should bottle it. Then I could just grab one every so often and not tie up a tap/keg.

Well I got lazy and kegged it. I SHOULD have followed my gut. Now the decision is; bottle it or dump it. I can't stand the thought of having to bottle again. :smack:

I have a chocolate stout that needs 1 week of dry nibbing then it'll be ready for the keg. I have additional kegs but the taps are full so I'll need to make a decision soon...

:pipe:

I've done both now, and kegging is much easier and far less time consuming. Build a keg system and get yourself a counter pressure bottle filler and a small bottle collection. If you choose too, you can bottle from the keg.

I've done both now, and kegging is much easier and far less time consuming. Build a keg system and get yourself a counter pressure bottle filler and a small bottle collection. If you choose too, you can bottle from the keg.

IF I ever bottle again, that's what I'll do. I don't care for the sediment in the bottom of the bottle from natural carbing.

But I think everyone should start out bottling. It forces you to be patient and learn to allow time for certain processes to take place in order to have a good quality result. And some say they even like the process of bottling!? Though I can't see it...

Bottling here, always have, always will. No room for kegs, and I like the ability to choose my beer based on what I'm eating, so having half a dozen or so varieties bottled up and waiting is much better for me than having one or two kegs full.

Besides, I really enjoy the bottling process!

I always fill a couple bottles as soon as I fill my keg. Drop a couple carb drops and cap. Much better than bottling 3 cases.

Bottling here, always have, always will. No room for kegs, and I like the ability to choose my beer based on what I'm eating, so having half a dozen or so varieties bottled up and waiting is much better for me than having one or two kegs full.

Besides, I really enjoy the bottling process!

You could always keep half a dozen varieties kegged. That's what I do.

You could always keep half a dozen varieties kegged. That's what I do.

Obviously you missed the part of her post that said " no room for kegs". I agree with Temptd2. I love variety and there is no way I can get that with kegs. Yes I have a beer on tap and another on my nitro tap. Great. But I also have. about a dozen different beers in my fridge. There is no way I could have that variety kegging it all. So kegging is not the nirvana that all of you keg fans make it out to be.

That's funny. I was going to follow the same logic but ended up doing the opposite for a pumpkin ale. I thought; that's not going to be a daily drinker so i should bottle it. Then I could just grab one every so often and not tie up a tap/keg.

Well I got lazy and kegged it. I SHOULD have followed my gut. Now the decision is; bottle it or dump it. I can't stand the thought of having to bottle again. :smack:

I have a chocolate stout that needs 1 week of dry nibbing then it'll be ready for the keg. I have additional kegs but the taps are full so I'll need to make a decision soon...

:pipe:

biermunchers bottle it and give it away for thanksgiving. I have 3 kegs but only two taps and run into that problem all the time. Especially now that its colder outside and less to do on weekends, i got the bug to just want to make beer all the time.

Latest posts

Back