To decoct or not to decoct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tryger73

Reaction score
So I am planning on making a weizenbock this weekend and am torn on whether to do a single decoction mash or just a single infusion. Seeing a lot of talk saying the decoction is not needed since today's malts are so well modified. Just curious to see what my favorite source of brewing information has to say. Thanks HBT!

There are 1036107 threads on this already.

There is no NEED to decoct. Most people say it's a waste of time....some swear by it.

For me, I can taste a clear difference between brews that I decoct and brews that I don't. I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'better', just a different taste. I enjoy decocting, so I sometimes do them.

I concur. If sitting in front of a big pot is your idea of fun, then decoct. You will fast a great smoothness and added maltiness to your brew. I decoct when I have a great recipe and I know I am really going to take time on the entire process, as opposed to cranking out another blond or wheat so we have something to drink

But I do the enhanced double decoction from kaisers video
Time consuming but man does it make a good, full flavored beer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done them on a few Hefeweizens, not Weizenbock though. I definitely can taste the difference. It isn't so incredibly dramatic though, so yeah as people have said it's not necessary to make a great Weizenbock.

Rev.

Thanks for the tips guess the search tool didn't work so well for me. Ended up doing a decoction mash but my temp was missed after the first so ended up doing a double! I can see where they say there is a flavor difference. Seeing the color change and the smell change in the decoct ions has made me a believer! Thanks again all!

Sometimes, it might take a certain process to make a certain style of beer. Using the English one temperature conversion method doesn't give a brewer much control over enzymatic action. It's a take what you get method. Though, beer can be made using just about any process, it might turn out better if a particular process is used. Weizenbock is ale, the English method works for producing ale. However, the style could use a rest in the proteolytic range (140ish) to reduce mash viscosity and maybe a rest in the proteolytic/beta range (145-149) to increase fermentable sugar production. A German brewer might add a rest in the 120 to 125F range and maybe two rests in the alpha temp range. It all depends on what the brewer wants the final product to be.

Welcome to decoction brewing. Sounds like things worked out. Good.

I was going for a protein rest so first temp was 130. After 20 min I pulled a thick decoction. After remixing temp hit 145. Pulled a smaller thick decoction remixed and hit 152 and then let that sit for another 45 min. Then fly sparged till I hit my boil volume. It is bubbling along after pitching 2 vials of WLP351. Can't wait to try it!

Decoction was born of necessity due to poor malt and no thermometers. It produces subtle color and flavor variations that some love and insist is necessary.

They are fun to do occasionally to keep the skill set.

Back