To bottle for my wedding, or buy legging equipment???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaacmanTX

Reaction score
So, the wedding is coming up pretty quick (early October) and I was starting to put together an idea of what I wanted to brew. Very few of the guests will have ever drank bottle conditioned beer, and I'm a little concerned the sediment in the bottle may bother some. The question is, do I stick to what I know (bottling) and just try to educate BMC drinkers how to pour a homebrew, or do I try to find the money for kegging equipment/kegs and learn how to keg?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kegs!
You want to recruit someone to be beertender at the wedding, so you can spend time with your bride. It's off to a good start that way. :mug:

Depending on whether you're into entertaining and parties later on, look into building or rigging up a jockey box with 2 taps (or even 3) for dispensing, or the kegerator as mentioned before.

In a pinch, picnic taps, rope buckets, and lots of ice works well too. It's going to be a fun attraction at your special day.

I say you buy the Legging equipment haha!

But seriously, kegging takes so much less time and effort. It's also more predictable (Leakey bottles etc.).

For mine, I did a keg of stout, a keg of cider, bottled a batch of IPA, bottled a batch of red ale, and bottled a batch of mead. Guests liked the convenience of the bottles, but liked the novelty of the kegs. I just had to make sure to have plenty of plastic cups so people could pour the bottles into cups and avoid the sediment.

Unless it's a really, really small wedding, I'd buy kegs. Even just from a transportation standpoint, it will be much easier.

Definitely kegs. You're going to be waaay too busy on your wedding day to be wasting time teaching people how to pour a beer. Not to mention the logistics involved in getting the bottles there far enough ahead of time for the sediment to settle back down to the bottom of the bottles after being transported to the venue.

Just make a jockey box, get a rope tub and some ice, and serve a couple of kegs.

I would say that it depends on how big of a batch you are making for your wedding...it's so easy to open a commercial kegs and use it for your own beer, and it would be cheaper and easier to purchase and use one 1/2 bbl than 3 corny kegs. Or even a 1/4 bbl for that matter.

It is going to be a pretty small wedding. We are expecting to keep it at about 70 guests. I'm currently only set up for 3 gallon batches, so for bottles I was thinking about
1 batch of Cream ale
1 batch of Belgian Wheat
1 batch of Apfelwein (almost 2 batches actually, one of mine and one of hers)
1 batch of an undetermined style.
2 or 3 cases of BMC
and numerous bottles of assorted wine.

I did 12 5 gallon kegs for my wedding. Equipment and ingredients were priced into the wedding budget.

If you go the keg route just make sure you figure out the logistics of serving. Tons of people will have advice for you but it's a lot different when the work and pressure is on you

Back