To add yeast at bottling or not. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnuts

Reaction score
I have a Baltic porter in the secondary right now conditioning with raisins. It has been in there for about 2 weeks now, I figured I'd give it at least another 2 weeks before bottling. During active fermentation the fermenter was under a lot of pressure and yeast was very happy. So much so that it nearly blew the airlock off before I got the chance to put a blowoff tube on it. A lot of the krausen moved quickly through the tube into my sanitized water.
Now im thinking that I may have lost a lot of yeast during this event. Whatever yeast is left may be too exhausted for bottling is higher in alcohol too, 9.5%. Should I add a little yeast to the bottling bucket before bottling? I used nottingham yeast by the way and also made a yeast starter before fermentation to hydrate and get excited.
Anyone have any suggestions ? Should I add yeast or will it be okay?

Sounds to me like it will be perfectly alright. I'm sure there's still plenty of yeast in there, and while 9.5% is high I don't think it will be too high to allow bottle conditioning. I've bottled similar and higher beers without added yeast.

You will have the yeast to carbonate your bottles. Expect the carbonation to take 4 to 6 weeks with a high gravity brew. Store the bottles at 70° to 75° for the conditioning.
Don't rush the process. This conditioning time will improve the beer.

Thank you guys for your help. Im bottling in a week so. Will keep the carbonation thing in mind

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Notty should be fine. A little champagne yeast never hurts if you're unsure. It's saved a few of my brews and costs a buck

Latest posts

Back