To add DME or not to add DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
So I started a little late into the fall brewing this year and went with a modified version of this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale-38880/

I upped the grain bill and hops to bring the OG up to 1.081 as I'm looking for an "imperial" style Oktoberfest with a big malty backbone.

However, I obviously did something wrong as the OG came out at 1.054 (lower than the original). What I found is (since I'm still learning Beersmith) the beer recipe was formulated for a 10 gallon recipe but I modified it to be a 5 gallon recipe - however the water amount stayed the same (I thought it was a ton of mash water :)). I guess BS doesn't catch that.

At any rate, it is fermenting like mad right now and I'm debating adding DME, and, if so, how much? 1 lb. should get me up to almost 7% ABV (I was targettng 8ish or so originally) whereas it is currently about 5.75% ABV. I could just roll with it as-is and have a lighter beer, but I thought I would take some comments. I'm a bit concerned that it will taste "watery".

Your beer will have a thin mouth feel. I would boil some DME and add while fermentation is still active.
One pound of DME will give you 44 Points Per Gallon.

To clarify - I know in a 5 gallon batch that 1 lb. DME is basically like 8 - 9 points of gravity. I guess my question is more geared towards at what point is it too much added DME.

To clarify - I know in a 5 gallon batch that 1 lb. DME is basically like 8 - 9 points of gravity. I guess my question is more geared towards at what point is it too much added DME.

Your OG was off by 27 points from what you wanted. You could make it all up with DME, but what kind of DME do yo have available. I would do some quick searches on the flavors of different available DMEs. You could add three pounds to make up the gravity points or hedge a little to maintain the grain flavors and only go two pounds.

One more question - how little water can I realistically use to boil 2 - 3 lbs. of DME? I want to contribute as little volume to the beer as possible.

One more question - how little water can I realistically use to boil 2 - 3 lbs. of DME? I want to contribute as little volume to the beer as possible.

You'd be better off adding a can of LME at this point.

You'd be better off adding a can of LME at this point.

That's what I was thinking because I always thought DME had to be boiled for a good 15 minutes no matter what. On the other hand, would LME add more flavor than DME?

That's what I was thinking because I always thought DME had to be boiled for a good 15 minutes no matter what. On the other hand, would LME add more flavor than DME?

I've used DME without boiling, especially when making kits I just chuck it straight into the fermenter bucket and stir it in. Never had a problem.

I don't think the LME would add more flavor than the equivalent amount of DME - 1.5 KG of LME == 1 KG of DME. The only thing missing is the water. But my thinking is that since the OP doesn't want to add any more volume than necessary and it's hard work to get DME down to the same thickness as LME, LME would be easier.

Bring a quart of water to a boil in a small kettle. Have another pot on hand with two quarts of water at a rolling boil.
Turn the heat down on the first kettle and begin adding the DME. Goal would be to maintain about 180° without using high heat and not making a thick syrup.
As you slowly add the DME, if it starts becoming syrupy add some boiling water from the second pot. Should be able to get two to three pounds of DME in less than two quarts.

If the idea is to increase the liquid amount a little as possible why not remove a few pints of the wort heat and add LME.

Also, when you're adjusting in Beersmith, you can use the adjust batch size tool, which will then account for the proper volumes.

Thanks flars, I did exactly as you said and added 2.8 lbs. light DME and 0.5 lbs. dark DME. The fermentation was already fairly intense, so foam came out the top when I started (up into the sanitized funnel, but all the DME made it in. We'll see how I did here in a few weeks.

I appreciate the help!

Back