To add Brett or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcabrew

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I have done a few Brett beers in the past but i have a couple kegs of a belgian strong at about 9.5% that finished at 1.008. the kegs are carbed but they are in a closet aging for a bit. I was thinking about soaking some cubes in some port wine and adding them to the kegs along with some Brett Lambicus. I guess my questions are will the Brett tolerate the 9.5% abv? and are there enough sugars left at 1.008 for the brett to eat and really develop a nice character?

for some reason i feel the flavors may go while with Brett Lambicus, if you think that I'm crazy and those will clash please let me know

thanks

Brett does a lot more than just ferment the remaining sugars in a beer. If I was smarter I could write a nice little explanation, but instead I'll go with my old standby of suggesting picking up a copy of Wild Brews if you're really interested. You'll definitely get some flavor contributions, not matter what the gravity is when you add it. 9.5% ABV is no problem, brettanomyces can can survive in wine that's 14%+.

the only caveat I'd add is that you'll need to wait a good 6 months minimum to notice any effects from the brett.

not too sure you'll get much character from the port cubes either, but it can't hurt.

Not long ago I added Orval dregs and some lambic dregs to a beire de garde brune. It's a few weeks old and has a very strong cherry aroma, a slight funk and a slight sourness. I'm surprised at how much the dregs added, especially in so little time. I think it's worth a try definately

Thanks everyone for your replies. Wild brews is on the Xmas list and I'm hoping the wifey graves it. So I've made up my mind and I'm deff going to pitch some Brett and let age. Now my question is which strain would go best with this type of beer a golden strong with the cubes and port wine.

I have a slurry of Brett trois a package of Brett lambicus and I have bottles I oral on hand.

I have never used lambicus so I'm not sure what the end result may be. The wyeast says horse blanket and cherry notes. That may work well with the port wine. I do though like me some Orval.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Wild brews is on the Xmas list and I'm hoping the wifey graves it. So I've made up my mind and I'm deff going to pitch some Brett and let age. Now my question is which strain would go best with this type of beer a golden strong with the cubes and port wine.

I have a slurry of Brett trois a package of Brett lambicus and I have bottles I oral on hand.

I have never used lambicus so I'm not sure what the end result may be. The wyeast says horse blanket and cherry notes. That may work well with the port wine. I do though like me some Orval.

Any suggestions?

I'd assumed it was a dark strong when you mentioned port. I'd go with the trois or Orval personally, depending on if I felt like drinking some Orval, for no reason other having those ready. Is the lambicus wyeast or white labs? I've heard better things about the wyeast, but it's not a strain I've used. If you want to wait to make a starter, the lambicus might be a good choice. Not that you need a starter, I'm just cheap and like to grow up yeast I've paid for so I can set some aside before pitching.

Did you say you have two kegs and want to add brett to both? If that's the case, I'd go with one strain in one and one in the other.

Do you use oak much? I have a few times, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means. I like to boil it for a minute or two before adding it so that the beer doesn't end up overly oaky. I guess using less would be an option, but I've been happy with boiling.

TNGabe said:
I'd assumed it was a dark strong when you mentioned port. I'd go with the trois or Orval personally, depending on if I felt like drinking some Orval, for no reason other having those ready. Is the lambicus wyeast or white labs? I've heard better things about the wyeast, but it's not a strain I've used. If you want to wait to make a starter, the lambicus might be a good choice. Not that you need a starter, I'm just cheap and like to grow up yeast I've paid for so I can set some aside before pitching.

Did you say you have two kegs and want to add brett to both? If that's the case, I'd go with one strain in one and one in the other.

Do you use oak much? I have a few times, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means. I like to boil it for a minute or two before adding it so that the beer doesn't end up overly oaky. I guess using less would be an option, but I've been happy with boiling.

I have 2 kegs that were loosely based of allagash curieux using the port instead of Jim beam. I'd like to keep them the same as I intend to bottle them at some point from the keg to give out as gifts. Every time I use wood I def boil before soaking. The Brett lambicus I have is the wyeast 5526

Back