Tips for Lager Secondary in Corny Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibumdc

Reaction score
Just brewed a Schwarzbier on Saturday at my buddies place and he will manage the primary fermentation and diacetyl rest and then cold crash after 3 weeks or so.
We plan to transfer to my corny and drive it 10 miles to my house for lagering/secondary but wanted to know if people have any tips?

Lagering will be in the 30's in my keezer and eventually force carbing with CO2.

I plan to blast the keg with enough CO2 to seal the corny lid for transport but have a few questions
1) Once at permanent location, do I release the CO2 from the corny except a small amount (5psi?)
2) Should I use a spunding valve to maintain 5 psi?

Nah, keep that bad boy sealed up! At that point in the game, fermentation is complete, all you're trying to do is cold age the beer. If you've got the connections available, it wouldn't even hurt to keep them hooked up to gas and carbonate the kegs while lagering - I've done that with great results on a couple batches now.

Back