Tips for bottling wands and air in the hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechphisto

Reaction score
So, when I bottle, I rack to a bottling bucket then put the bottling wandon the end of the tube with the siphon, start the siphon going, and bottle.

But every time, I get a LOT of air and churning of the brew as it comes out the top of the siphon around the top bend of the tube. This is not good, right? That's got to be mixing in a lot of oxygen!

I have placed screw-tightening clamps around both ends of the tubing to prevent any kind of air leak where the tube meets with wand or siphon.
I make sure the tube is as straight as possible from the siphon to the wand.
I'm careful to do a nice big, full start on the siphon.
I really don't know what else I can do... aside from not use a wand and just pour from the bucket spout into the bottle LOL

Is there anything else I can try to do to prevent that air churn in the bottling process?

Thanks!
Liam

The bubbles you see could be CO2 coming out of the beer. Even if it is CO2 I would get rid of the siphon and attach a spring tip bottling wand to the spigot of the bottling bucket. Attach with 1.5 inches of tubing. Bottling is so much simpler when you can fill bottles with one hand.

I bottle by myself, and about half way through I stop filling and start capping. Sometimes I'd have to restart the syphon... Long story short, some bottles would be oxidized, I decided to start syphon in a test bottle usually a green glass so I can easily find it. Problem solved test bottles I use to se how carbing is coming along, so opened in the first couple weeks. If your issue is CO2 coming out of solution you have nothing to worry about. I hope this helps.

I wouldn't put the bottling wand on the end of the siphon

your bottling bucket should have a hole for a spigot (sold separately) at the bottom, otherwise it's just a fermenting bucket

(can see the hole near the bottom of the bucket in this pic)
myLHBS-326.jpg

I have the bottling wand attached directly to the spigot on a very short piece of tubing. so I'm not bringing the wand to the bottles, I'm bringing the bottles to the wand

very crude rendering

bottling.jpg

My spigot has an air release hole on it. Actually, I have two spigots and they both have it. It opens when the spigot valve is closed. I have to keep my finger over the hole so air isn't introduced. If you're opening and closing the spigot, I bet that's where you're getting your air.

I'm getting a spring loaded wand for my next bottling. That way I can leave the spigot open all the time and not worry about the air coming in.

Yeah, I initially wanted to go from bucket spigot to tube to the bottling wand, but the diameter of the wand and the spigot are different which is why I thought the way to go was siphon to wand.

Looks like the right and best solution is to go back to the store and say hey! I need a spigot/2" tube/wand combination that all fits together! :D

Thanks for all the feedback! :D

Yeah, I initially wanted to go from bucket spigot to tube to the bottling wand, but the diameter of the wand and the spigot are different which is why I thought the way to go was siphon to wand.

Looks like the right and best solution is to go back to the store and say hey! I need a spigot/2" tube/wand combination that all fits together! :D

Thanks for all the feedback! :D

There are different diameters of bottling wands. The larger diameter will fill the bottle faster but leave more head space than the smaller diameter wand. The amount of head space is determined by how much volume is displaced by the size of the wand.

Picture of my bottling set up.

Resize441.jpg

There are different diameters of bottling wands. The larger diameter will fill the bottle faster but leave more head space than the smaller diameter wand. The amount of head space is determined by how much volume is displaced by the size of the wand.

Picture of my bottling set up.

think I've commented on your setup before. similar to mine, except I put my bottling bucket on top of another bucket, so the bottling wand is eye-level when I sit down.

since I'm old and not very bendy

think I've commented on your setup before. similar to mine, except I put my bottling bucket on top of another bucket, so the bottling wand is eye-level when I sit down.

since I'm old and not very bendy

That's why I use the rolling stool. I'm old and not too flexible anymore.

Latest posts

Back