Tips for beginners...the next step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, but over the years I've discovered a few simple steps that have helped elevate the quality of my extract beers from "drinkable" to "delicious".

1. Full wort boil. This will probably mandate that you purchase a propane burner, a large (8 or 9 gallon) brew-pot and an immersion chiller, but the result is a beer that begins to blur the line between extract and all-grain by masking that "extract-twang". Plus, you KNOW that all of the liquid going into the fermenter is sanitized. Since you won't be adding cold water at the end, you will need an immersion (wort) chiller to bring the wort down to pitching temps quickly.

2. Make a yeast starter. At first this may sound daunting, but it's actually quite easy and kind of fun. Lots of on-line homebrew supply stores sell a starter kit that includes a glass flask, a foam stopper, and detailed instructions.

3. Pitch enough yeast. A lot of beginning brewers make the mistake of wanting a "big beer" without considering the strain on an inadequate amount of yeast. This calculator helps a lot....http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

4. Aerate your wort. Yeast needs oxygen. Although you don't want to disturb fermented beer, it's a different story with your wort. The easiest and least expensive way to do this is by rocking/sloshing your carboy in your lap for about 10 minutes after you pitch your yeast.

Believe it or not, these simple steps will make a huge difference in the finished product. I wish that I would have known these simple techniques from day one.

Full wort boil question:

So, if I'm making 5 gallons of beer, should I always boil the full 5 gallons? My pot is plenty big enough for this, but I've gotten some ingrediant kits that say "boil 2- 2 1/2 gallons of water...then top of fermenter with cold water"

Full wort boil question:

So, if I'm making 5 gallons of beer, should I always boil the full 5 gallons? My pot is plenty big enough for this, but I've gotten some ingrediant kits that say "boil 2- 2 1/2 gallons of water...then top of fermenter with cold water"

If you want 5 gallons at the end, you'll need to boil 6-7 gallons depending on you boil-off rate. Hop utilization changes too with full wort boil so you need to adjust for that. Also, you'll need a way to chill it down quickly since you won't be adding cold water at the end, i.e. immersion chiller.

#5 on the list above - Fermentation Temp Control ( I'd put it at #1 actually )

Bass- Full boil would be just that boiling the full volume you plan to put in the fermentor, starting over volume and allowing for evaporation to get you to the finished volume. There should be no topping off needed on a full boil. Hope that helped. :mug:
Gropo- Excellent tips, I am sure this will help plenty of people out. Nice Job! :mug:

If you can comfortably boil 6 gallons of liquid at a time you should be doing a full boil. The only thing that really changes is your hop utilization (use less). You can use beer calculus or beersmith to figure this out.

I know there are a few threads such as this, but all of the above is great advice. I was fortunate as the guys at the LHBS gave me similar advice as this so I undertook most of the steps for batch 1 (still haven't used a starter)
The single biggest change I made after batch 1 that made the process so much simpler was switching to a no rinse sanitizer. Used bleach to save a couple of bucks and had no problems, but the ease of no rinse was well worth the few bucks.

Stevo is 100% right. I guess I should have mentioned that once you move to full-wort boiling you will need an immersion chiller. A couple tips regarding IC's:

Place your IC into your brew-pot about 15 minutes before the boil is finished. This will sanitize it.

Connect your hoses BEFORE you immerse it. Otherwise, it becomes too hot to work with, and scalding water will be shooting out the openings.

*** thread edited to include the use of an IC ***

The only one of these I did on my first two batches is number 4. I'm glad I read this and also glad I have a couple in the pipe now that I didnt so I can tell the difference for when I implement these tips in the future. Thanks.

If you want 5 gallons at the end, you'll need to boil 6-7 gallons depending on you boil-off rate. Hop utilization changes too with full wort boil so you need to adjust for that. Also, you'll need a way to chill it down quickly since you won't be adding cold water at the end, i.e. immersion chiller.

#5 on the list above - Fermentation Temp Control ( I'd put it at #1 actually )

BINGO!!!! We have a winner folks! Fermentation Temp control will make your beers go from Delicious, to absolutely divine and MUCH more consistent.

I am glad you said it before I could :)

You know it ;-) It's a true test of dexterity to try and thread hose connections while the molten liquid sprays out. It's like Satan is spitting at you.

After a brew session, I blow mine out with my compressor. Solves that problem and any freezing concerns in winter.

Back