Tincture timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
Every year I make a Christmas beer, chocolate covered cherry stout. My wife loves dark chocolate covered cherries!

My tincture, right now is 1oz cocoa nibs, 1/2 oz dark whiskey chips soaked in Jim Beam vanilla. When I keg I add tart cherry concentrate to taste.

A couple of friends at a brewery down the street are going to be brewing their stout in a month or two. I offered to help in exchange for 5 gallons of wort. They agreed.

I usually add my tincture at kegging that way I don’t mess with the yeast with the addition of alcohol. Does this sound like the right practice?

I added my tincture of vanilla when I transferred from kettle to fermenter.

But you say your friends own a brewery and you’re going to be helping them? What are their thoughts on the subject?

Yep I pitch in Primary AFTER a few days, like when the Krausen is falling. Still with a little Co2 going on since I am opening the lid to pitch. I have even added some sugar water when doing it or added sugar to the tincture to kinda perk the yeast for a co2 push and leave it for 6-7 days if they are Nibs, no longer or the bitter of choc comes out a bit much. Especially since you get bitter from your choc grain and a lower Ph too. Vanilla at bottling time

I added my tincture of vanilla when I transferred from kettle to fermenter.

But you say your friends own a brewery and you’re going to be helping them? What are their thoughts on the subject?

This next batch is going to be split in two. Keep on tap and experiment for seasonal/limited batches.

I would think adding a tincture of 40 proof alcohol to a wort at the time of pitch would hinder the yeast from doing it’s job due to ABV level.

That considered, would adding the tincture mid fermentation be okay, and let the flavors bled? Or just stick with end of fermentation.

Yep I pitch in Primary AFTER a few days, like when the Krausen is falling. Still with a little Co2 going on since I am opening the lid to pitch. I have even added some sugar water when doing it or added sugar to the tincture to kinda perk the yeast for a co2 push and leave it for 6-7 days if they are Nibs, no longer or the bitter of choc comes out a bit much. Especially since you get bitter from your choc grain and a lower Ph too. Vanilla at bottling time

Perfect!

You have 5 gallons of wort and what 2oz of tincture? I guess you could add mid or at the end.

What about splitting the 5 gallons into like 1.5 or so gallons and trying different timings of the tincture?

I try and time it (cause I know my recipes) where the 6-7th day of nib tincture will fall on about the 12-13th day of fermenting, So I can leave the nibs in without having to open again to remove, just leave it at the bottom as I keg or bottle... Then vanilla to taste. Usually 3tbsp to 5 gal batch but season to taste, you can even try some Salt like a 1/4 tsp it smooths out the choc bitter 'like when you do it in coffee'. I use Himalayan but I am sure any rock salt would suffice if not reg table salt.
I reserve a cup and use a dropper to add flavors to see if they are a go... but as above is choc porter stout I make every other month.

I add my tincture after fermentation. Dump yeast then add nibs and tincture . Sits for about 2 weeks then keg . Different strokes for different folks .

P.s I forgot to mention the Nibs that you soaked are part of that 7 day max timer...I use 4 oz, I use a muslum sack (so they do not clog at racking) in a ball jar with 5 oz of Vodka, I flip at 12hrs so I know top and bottom have been disinfected. 1oz in your case sounds like it might be too light, where it could come off as an after taste instead of an adjunct. "like cooking" you do not want too little if you are trying to compliment otherwise it could be an "off" taste.
I'd def reserve a cup and a dropper with that sour cherry flavoring. I found about 4 drops to a cup is about what 1 Tbsp does to 1 Gal.

P.s.s That nib sock is great to save in the jar and re-pitch with a Rye IPA later/next batch. I make a Choc Caramel Rye IPA with the used 4oz of nibs. I add it to the Boil the last 20 of the new batch with a good slurry of used yeast that will be at the bottom of the primary you are making now, it is great yeast food and the choc bitter is good.

I’ve had one batch with the tincture in it for a few weeks now. Work has been crazy, but plan on kegging it on brew day Sunday.

My next batch I’ll add the tincture when I keg.

Thanks for all the advice! I’m glad I found this community!

Spund/spunding... that’s a new term for me. I’ll have to look it up when I get home tonight.
It is transferring from fermenter to keg with a little sugar left (usually 3-4 SG points) to allow the keg to carbonate naturally.
Benefits:
  • Free CO2
  • The active yeast scavenge some of the oxygen picked up during transfer
It's standard practice among the Low Oxygen Brewing (LOB/LODO) community, but plenty of others do it too.

Back