Tincture Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
Still brewing from kits for now and I recently purchased an American AMBER kit by Brewers Best.
However I'd like to experiment with this batch.

I'd like to make this batch resemble a Christmas Ale/Holiday Ale style brew.

Pretty sure the way to go is too add a tincture.

Anyone have a recipe that has worked in the past?
Can walk me through the process step-by-step?
Or simply point me in the right direction?
Many thanks.

Also if a tincture is not the route to take chime in.

Not sure what kind you want but this is what I did for a choc milk stout. It was for a 5 gallon brew. I used cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. Soaked in liquor for about 7 days in a dark closet. Just enough liquor to cover the nibs and beans. Then I poured right into the beer during secondary for 14 days.

Not sure what your shooting for but you could do whole spices but go easy on them it doesnt take much . You could use orange peel late in boil then do a choc tincture . Just depends on what flavor your wanting .

Seeing you're from Cleveland, are you thinking of Great Lakes' Christmas Ale or something in that vein?

Use some whole spices in the boil. Possibly some in the fermenter too with or without making a tincture.
As @Jag75 said, it doesn't take much. It's easy to overdo, and there's no way back.

I'd keep everything in the 'primary' fermenter, there's no need for a secondary. They only creates problems, solving none. There are a few exceptions where a secondary is a must, but it doesn't apply to 99% of beers.

We can probably help you tweak the recipe to turn it into a suitable holiday beer. You definitely want higher gravity, so with the same kit ingredients just brew a smaller batch, like 3 gallons, to boost gravity to around 1.060-1.075.

Seeing you're from Cleveland, are you thinking of Great Lakes' Christmas Ale or something in that vein?

Use some whole spices in the boil. Possibly some in the fermenter too with or without making a tincture.
As @Jag75 said, it doesn't take much. It's easy to overdo, and there's no way back.

I'd keep everything in the 'primary' fermenter, there's no need for a secondary. They only creates problems, solving none. There are a few exceptions where a secondary is a must, but it doesn't apply to 99% of beers.

We can probably help you tweak the recipe to turn it into a suitable holiday beer. You definitely want higher gravity, so with the same kit ingredients just brew a smaller batch, like 3 gallons, to boost gravity to around 1.060-1.075.
Yes, something in the vein of Great Lakes "Christmas Ale" and the many other variations.

Which spices are suggested and when do I add during the boil?
I have only done kits thus far and followed them to the letter with great success. Which would now bring us to the point of where I need precise step-by-step instruction. (Sorry still proudly a noob)

Plan on starting brew soon, so smaller batch idea is going to be applied.

I've never used spices in beer . Only in cider. Make sure the spices are whole.i put them in after fermentation. I used orange peel, anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves and all spice I believe. The clove goes a long way . I should have added the spices then tasted in a week then added more until I got the right amount .

Have you done a search here for 'Great Lakes Christmas Ale'? Checkmark the 'Search Titles Only' box to limit the results to threads. There are quite a few.

I used this thread for directions and inspiration:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/great-lakes-christmas-ale-clone.218147/

I brewed it twice, one extract, the other all grain. That was 6-7 years ago and am long overdue for a new one.

I put a piece of Ginger root and some Cinnamon stick in the boil for the last 10-15 minutes, as well as a piece of orange zest. I think they would be better if steeped at reduced temps, after the boil, or added after fermentation has subsided, either straight into the beer (as a 'dry spice' addition) or as a steeped tincture, by soaking the spices in some vodka for 2 weeks while the batch ferments.
Be easy on the spice, it can overwhelm quickly. You can always add more, but never remove what's too much.

Omit adding brown sugar, the molasses it contains does not belong in beer, IMO. But you could add some homemade caramelized candi syrup or dark candi syrup a la D-90 or D-180.
Instead, since you brew extract you could boil some concentrated wort for an hour (or 2), like a Scottish Ale, very low and slow and constant stirring to prevent burning as that would turn it into 'toast' so to speak.

Any added honey is totally imperceptible IMO, use some Honey Malt instead. It can be steeped or mini-mashed with some base malt.

Is a Christmas ale like a spiced cider but only beer instead of cider ?
Sorta. Similar spices, but definitely much more restrained with spice than mulled ciders, which I actually like, and hot.

Some taste very odd, medicine like (e.g., Southern Tier 2xMas), others are better. I like the spice component to remain subtle, going more for the complexity of the caramel. The times my wife had Great Lakes' they rarely disappointed. I have a hard time drinking a whole pint of any of them, though.

Last question: Do I put the spices directly into the wort or in a muslin bag?

You could put some of the spices in the boil. Or as "dry spice" like dry hop, or make a vodka tincture while it ferments. Those get added after fermentation. In primary, no secondaries needed.
Each of their flavor contributions will be different depending on the method used, of course. Boiled ginger, cinnamon, fresh orange peel/zest etc. taste differently from adding as fresh spices when fermentation has subsided and again differently from steeped in vodka or grain alcohol for a week, or 2. See #6.

Bag or don't bag, either will work fine.

[Rephrased for clarity]

Last edited:
As a counterpoint to @IslandLizard I think your idea of making a tincture to add spices to your beer is perfect - but that's because that's what I do LOL. Seriously, it is terrifically easy to over or under spice or flavor your beer if you add to the boil or in secondary. I know, I made a horrible Belgian IPA that I added spices to the secondary - yikes.

I do tinctures for a variety of beers - sometimes even just to accentuate a flavor that's already in the beer, like the time we added a tincture made with lemongrass to a Saison. That beer ended up winning a gold medal.

In any case, like @Jag75 said, you just put your spices in a jar and cover with vodka and let it soak for a couple of weeks. Then, when you are packaging, either bottling or kegging, strain the tincture so you only have liquid, then add a little bit and taste. Add a little more and taste, repeat until you're at the right mix. Don't overdo it - you can always add more, you can't take it out LOL.

Let us know what you decide to do and tell us how it turned out. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back