Time to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEKvt

Reaction score
I've got 10 gallons of black lager that's been in primary since 11/27. I used WLP820 which a bit of research suggests is a slow fermenter. The airlock is still bubbling once every 10 seconds so I'm not worried about the current gravity, I figure it will come down. It has been at a near constant 55F in my basement since day 1. One of the carboys has about 1/4" of krausen (do we call it that with a bottom fermenting yeast?) on the top, the other a bit less but still there.

Starting gravity 1.053, gravity on 12/21 1.024, mashed at 152F.

I want to put an alt on this yeast cake, which I have time to brew next weekend, but I don't want to take it off working yeast too early. Tasting the latest hydrometer sample I get a little toffee/butter, but not near as much as I got after week 2 (first time using this yeast so I've been over monitoring what's going on).

Basically, I haven't done much lagering and am wondering if it is too early to move this thing considering that it tastes like the cake is still cleaning up diacetyl? Anybody experienced with this yeast, or other lager strains with similar profiles? My gut tells me to let this one sit for a couple more weeks.

listen to your gut. let it set a month at least. a lager i would let sit even longer!!!! time is your friend.

Thanks, I was wondering if there was a guide like 80% of FG out there. That's good to know.

By my calc's hoping for 70% attenuation I'm at around 75% of FG. I'll give it some more time. Notoriously slow yeast I guess. I'll let it do it's thing.

Back