Time to go Stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthefrog

Reaction score
So after a successful brew night last night, I was scrubbing my aluminum brew pot to get some of the cakes on trub off the sides, when I noticed a black-grey substance coming off the pot, it also smelled very metallic. Is this aluminum leaching from the pot? If so is it time for me to get a stainless steal pot?

I've been in the market for a pot anyway, can anyone suggest a decent pot for doing an all grain boil (7+ gallons)?

no biggie. just reboil some water in the kettle or bake it at 350. you can recreate the layer easily. i wash my aluminum kettle with hot water and a soft cloth only. when it's really dirty, i boil water in it to clean.

Yep. I just boil with a bit of baking soda and my pot and electric elements are squeaky clean

Super sweet. So I'll boil some water for 30 minutes and get that oxide layer back and I should be good to go? Then to clean it I'll boil with some baking soda. Awesome tips guys! thanks :)

What happens if you do a batch without the passive oxidized layer. I did my first batch in aluminum before I read about the oxidizing layer and I think it turned out pretty good although since it was my first batch I don't have anything to compare it with. My second batch I did with the layer on it but it is still in the fermenter so not sure how much of a difference it made yet.

You may get off-flavors and possibly slight leaching depending on temps and pH - also etching.

I've saved many expensive cookware pieces with baking soda. It'll remove pretty much anything from aluminum; brown/black oil spots, burnt sugars, and that green hop residue that sticks after a 100+IBU boil.

Also with aluminum, strong acid-based cleaners, like OxyClean, will destroy the oxidized layer, so you want to use a base-based cleaner, like baking soda.

Back