Time to Get Real About Eating Spent Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's where I failed my last attempt, 7 years ago. Planted the transplants, babied them through the summer, harvested successfully and then lost the entire batch to mold in a screwed curing.
Not unlike spoiling a nice wort with a filthy infected yeast.
This year will grow my plants from the seeds.
Again, not unlike growing a yeast starter out of a single cell (just way longer and immensely more difficult).

i can recall a new zealander saying something that enlightened me....."just hang the leaves in a shed, good enough for most people"....just like my malting, the big boys try to make it seem harder then it is to increase revenue.....

the big boys try to make it seem harder then it is
Mentioning the "big boys" reminded me of my first false start of the brewing hobby.

Fondly recalling my greatgranddad's homebrewing sessions (I remember him very well, though I wasn't of the age to taste his strong brews - probably some kind of Baltic Farmhouse, I guess) I decided to try making my own beer. So to the interwebs I went, searching for the manuals and instructions. There, I had an unlucky landing on a grumpy board where the "big boys" were massaging their Egos by scaring noobs away from the hobby describing the extreme "difficulties" of homebrewing, which only them, the Initiated, could handle right. Now I understand those "big boys" were nothing but "advanced noobs' themselves, but how could I tell back then, they talked VERY proffessionally-sounding. "To hell with such a hobby that only Nietzsche's Übermensch is capable to master", was my unfortunate takeaway from a short conversation there.

It was only years later when I happened to read a detailed brewing report with pics from another n00b who dared to challenge the Übermenschen and brewed a decent all-grain beer in a kettle on a kitchenstove. I closely followed his manual, was amazed by the taste and flavour of my first beer (an English Bitter) and then... Each of us here knows what happens then, after the first successful batch :)

So, yeah, I agree, those "big boys" are a nuisance in any hobby.

Last edited:
Mentioning the "big boys" reminded me of my first false start of the brewing hobby.

Fondly recalling my greatgranddad's homebrewing sessions (I remember him very well, though I wasn't of the age to taste his strong brews - probably some kind of Baltic Farmhouse, I guess) I decided to try making my own beer. So to the interwebs I went, searching for the manuals and instructions. There, I had an unlucky landing on a grumpy board where the "big boys" were massaging their Egos by scaring noobs away from the hobby describing the extreme "difficulties" of homebrewing, which only them, the Initiated, could handle right. Now I understand those "big boys" were nothing but "advanced noobs' themselves, but how could I tell back then, they talked VERY proffessionally-sounding. "To hell with such a hobby that only Nietzsche's Übermensch is capable to master", was my unfortunate takeaway from a short conversation there.

It was only years later when I happened to read a detailed brewing report with pics from another n00b who dared to challenge the Übermenschen and brewed a decent all-grain beer in a kettle on a kitchenstove. I closely followed his manual, was amazed by the taste and flavour of my first beer (an English Bitter) and then... Each of us here knows what happens then, after the first successful batch :)

So, yeah, I agree, those "big boys" are a nuisance in any hobby.
Step #1: Turn your garage into an auto-clave.

I brew small batches so my grain goes in the trash. I keep the lid propped open so that they won't make tons of condensation.
However, my 2 yr old son thought those grains looked kind of tasty and I caught him sampling it... only to spit it out moments later!

I've eaten a handful before, after the mash. I've made breads, pizza crust, and pretzels with them. I've dried it and used it to make granola bars (my favorite use). Now, it all goes into the compost. We plan to get ducks next year so then a portion will go to them as well.

From my experience with a handful of ducks next door with a dozen chickens, domestic ducks love spent grain, especially if no rice hulls were used, but they and their chicken cousins will eat 'em anyway...

Cheers!

Recent batch of doggo biscuits
20230205_171231.jpg

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
mix; form into a ball; roll out; cut
bake at 350F for 30 minutes, then 225F for 2 hours

edit - very close to the recipe in that old thread; the pooch was hesitant at first but loves them now; no digestive issues observed to date, but he only gets a couple a day.

Not really a necro thread, but it's been a while since any of us posted here. What recipe did you (or anyone else) use for dog biscuits? We are having a hard time finding treats at the pet store that don't give our dog the runs (not the zoomies!).

EDIT: I found this a couple pages in my HBT search on "Dog Treats." Not sure why it didn't pop first?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/dog-treats.674856/

The original thread on this forum is here: Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

I've made a few haha. I have a silicone mold for making them.

1697067553192.png

I taste them after the mash to see how much sugar is left. Then give a couple of scoops to the chickens, they love them, then the rest goes onto the compost pile with the spent hops. I may give some of the spent hops to the chickens if I think about it.
Hops are poisonous to dogs. Don't know about chickens?

Why is it time to get real about spent grain? I like to give it a 5 minute head start, then try to track it down. If it doesn't get too gamey, I'll eat it. I don't do grain bought in a 3 lb chub in a grocery store...:ban:

Spent grains were always a dilemma. I hated to just throw them out, it seemed like such a waste. I don't have a dog, but many friends and family do and I sometimes make up some doggy treats to give them. Their doggos love them--tasty treats with butt-scratchers. But that only uses a small fraction of my spent grains. What to do with the rest...

I tried mixing some in the compost bin, but they never seemed to completely disintegrate, so I gave up that idea. I buried some in my box garden in the fall, thinking they'd break down and add nutrients. They might have, had the squirrels not come along and dug it all up a couple days later.

I found out one of my coworkers had kids who kept urban chickens and he gladly took the grains off my hands. He'd even drive by to pick them up. (Under no circumstances was I going to bring them in to work.) But, like every person I've met who had urban chickens, he and his family got out of it. I can't imagine why...

Then I posted an ad in the "free" section of Craigslist for anyone else who might want the grain for their chickens. Never had a problem finding someone who wanted them. I'd set them in a bag out by the curb and they'd be gone within a couple hours of posting. Apparently, back yard chicken aficionados are well aware of the benefits of spent brewing grains.

Once, I got a nasty comment on CL from some person, chiding me for offering spent grains as animal feed, exclaiming, "don't you know that alcohol is toxic to chickens?" I replied, asking if she ever took a science class in high school, and if she did, did she stay awake in it. I assured her that there is no alcohol in spent mash grains, that all the alcohol makin' stuff happens later. I never heard back from her. I can't imagine why...

Once, I dumped 10 lbs. of them in a 5 gallon bucket, with the intention of using them for something I can no longer recall. I forgot about the bucket as it sat in the back yard in the summer heat. Several days later I remembered it. Or more aptly, I "rediscovered" it by following the rancid smell when I walked out my back door. Wet grain has a VERY limited shelf life at warm temps. Who knew?

Now, I just bag the damn things up and toss them in the trash bin.

Last edited:
never threw them out in the trash. they go to the local composte pile. in return i get rich black soil whenever i want. will throw some out in the winter as the birds like to pick through them.

granted i live in a small community where yard waste is composted and branches are turned to wood chips all included with taxes i suppose which are relatively cheap for most cities.

the amount of organic material put into regular trash bags is astounding in the U.S. literally taking up space.

never threw them out in the trash. they go to the local composte pile. in return i get rich black soil whenever i want. will throw some out in the winter as the birds like to pick through them.

granted i live in a small community where yard waste is composted and branches are turned to wood chips all included with taxes i suppose which are relatively cheap for most cities.

the amount of organic material put into regular trash bags is astounding in the U.S. literally taking up space.

I did that for most of my brewing life. Dumped spent grains in tree line near drainage creek behind my house. But, the unintended consequences...

This drew flies, which laid eggs, which resulted in a great number of larvae.
The larvae attracted cane (bufo) toads. These toads have poison sacs in their cheeks which is quite toxic to dogs. I have a hunting dog and she can't resist.

So, now I just dump loose in the trash can (not in a bag tho).

1697202563143.png

Spent grains were always a dilemma. I hated to just throw them out, it seemed like such a waste. I don't have a dog, but many friends and family do and I sometimes make up some doggy treats to give them. Their doggos love them--tasty treats with butt-scratchers. But that only uses a small fraction of my spent grains. What to do with the rest...

My daughter and I started packaging them and giving away to local animal shelter. They sold them for fundraisers. Good activity for free labor if you have that at home :)

1697206797560.png

My daughter and I started packaging them and giving away to local animal shelter. They sold them for fundraisers. Good activity for free labor if you have that at home :)

View attachment 831460

That gives me an idea. Next brew, I might use all the spent grain for doggie treats. A few jars of peanut butter, some flour, do a marathon baking session. Give them as holiday stocking stuffers for all my friends and family with doggos.

My next brew will be a small beer (English bitter), so maybe 10# or so.

Then I can make my house smell like grain a second day. ;)

What recipe did you (or anyone else) use for dog biscuits?
The recipe is simple enough.. my tip/trick is for the treats I make for my dog. Since home-use does not require cute shapes I simply press and roll the mixture into a sheet pan and use a pizza cutter to make squares in the size I want. Use a knife to finish the edges and they break apart after baking. I think I normally make a double batch in order to get roughly 1/4" thick on a full sheet pan.

Kudos to those making dog biscuits and such and extra bonus for helping shelters.

I do small batches and I will typically use 7-10 lbs at a time. I normally just throw it away. My wife wanted some recently for the garden to mix in with the soil (and I’m not even sure if thats a good idea as I don’t know much about gardening or soil chemistry, etc). Last time I put some spent grains in a trash bag inside a plastic trash can and left it for her in a corner of the garage and forgot about it. She didn’t get to them for awhile and it drew at least one mouse that we saw. I tossed the grains and let the cats into the garage for awhile but they didn’t get it. We haven’t seen it again since.

We don’t have any chickens or other animals except cats. We have rabbits in the development, also voles, mice, squirrels, we’ve seen foxes, etc. While its a noble quest to try to re-purpose spent grain, I don’t feel like I use that much and I’m not going to put it out to draw pests and feed vermin. I’m not even sure about its use in garden soil.

For the 100 pounds or so I might use in a year, I just thow it in the trash and I don’t feel the least bit bad about it. Its natural and it will de-compose right? Its not like throwing away styrofoam.

Last edited:
Sometimes I freeze a few 48 oz cottage cheese tubs filled with wet spent grain, to be used for baking past the initial 2-3 days.
If you extra freezer space then you are fortunate. My wife packs our freezer, I often joke that it would be tough to fit a paper clip in there. I don’t even get to have freezer space for my hops. They share space in the back of my fridge that I use for bottles and cans (its a glass front fridge that doesn’t have a freezer). So I’m definitely not finding freezer space for spent grains.

I just thow it in the trash and I don’t feel the least bit bad about it. Its natural and it will de-compose right? Its not like throwing away styrofoam
The problem is that nothing really decomposes in a modern landfill. The other problem is that composting in an urban or suburban setting can be a real PITA for relatively little benefit. I sometimes wonder if smaller municipalities like mine could do more for the environment by offering composting centers instead of recycling centers, but I haven't really researched that. I suppose I could bring mine to the flood plain near where I live and dump it for the critters to fight over down there instead of in my yard.

The problem is that nothing really decomposes in a modern landfill. The other problem is that composting in an urban or suburban setting can be a real PITA for relatively little benefit. I sometimes wonder if smaller municipalities like mine could do more for the environment by offering composting centers instead of recycling centers, but I haven't really researched that. I suppose I could bring mine to the flood plain near where I live and dump it for the critters to fight over down there instead of in my yard.

My city has a yard waste collection service, and we use it. For just over $100 a season we get a 95 gallon bin that they collect weekly from April through November. They haul it to the county composting site. Well worth the $$.

I've thought about dumping spent grain in with that. No doubt it would compost, though spent grain isn't on the state-approved list of waste items allowed and the collection company follows that list. They make it clear that the service is not to be used for household food waste, so I will assume they might frown on grain showing up mixed with the grass clippings and tree prunings.

That said, the route driver doesn't closely watch what kinds of stuff falls out of the bin when the grabber arm dumps it into the truck. Ten pounds of grain dropping in along with 90 gallons of leaves and grass would likely go unnoticed.

I might have to try it, as it would be better than putting it in the regular trash.

The other option is to dump it along the creek near our place, for the ducks to gobble up.

Latest posts

Back