Time to Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackInk

Reaction score
I've had my second batch of Kitchen Sink Cider in its third rack for a month now and I'm getting ready to keg. Just bought this keg system View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442192421.398536.jpg because, well if you're going to do something...

I understand the principles of force carbonation but have never done it. I've bottle carbed and pasteurized to stop fermentation until now.

So my question is, I'm wanting to back sweeten...but how the heck do I stop the fermentation? I've never used campden (sp?) or any other chemicals, so how would one go about this? The other thing I can think of is build a worm in a 5 gallon pot and flash it.

I have a dedicated fridge that will be the home of the kegs that will keep everything at 34 degrees, but I intend to take these tailgating. Even with my self contained yeti tap cooler, I live in Kansas...it's gonna be hot. I don't want fermentation to restart because a keg hits 50+ (I purposely get the yeti to 45, because I find that the best combo of full flavor and cool refreshing drink).

I've considered fermenting dry and using apple flavor and sugar alcohols, but that doesn't excite me...plus I was thinking of adding the Carmel recipe I saw on here. No real way to do that without sugar.

All advice will be taken under consideration. Chosen method will generate more questions from me. Thanks in advance!

To ensure no fermentation will restart, either keep the kegs cold or stabilize with chemicals. If you want to stabilize with chemicals, you need campden tablets and some potassium sorbate (both sold at homebrew stores). Just use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon, along with 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon, and dissolve that into a bit of the cider or some water. Add that to the keg, then rack your cider in. You can add your sweetener to taste then, but I'd let it sit a day or two first to make sure the stabilizing "worked". Then I'd sweeten to taste and you can chill and carb as desired.

Back