Time to batten down the hatches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Ugh, freakin' hurricains! I've got to go and buy wood tonight to cover our windows.....I've never done it before but I'm sure it won't be too bad. I guess this is just the price of living on the coast....

Check out www.stormpulse.com it's got Ike coming right at us.

FWIW good luck and I hope things settle down and it doesn't hit you too hard. Keep safe.

Hehe if by Thursday it's still pointed at us then SWMBO, a couple of our friends, and I are high tailing it to my folk's house in Austin. I don't want to be anywhere near a hurricane....expect maybe one of these:

lg_hurricane.jpg

Hehe if by Thursday it's still pointed at us then SWMBO, a couple of our friends, and I are high tailing it to my folk's house in Austin. I don't want to be anywhere near a hurricane....expect maybe one of these:

lg_hurricane.jpg

Good idea
I lived through Andrew and Charlie, so if it's close to a 3 I'm outta here. Go get the wood before the lines get too long

I hope the best for you. Best of luck. I'm not going to lie, but better you than me. I'm still without power from Gustav.

Looks like the eye is going to hit Corpus right on. I was there during a Depression/Storm, can't remember which, and there was quite a bit of flooding at campus (A&M CC)

Yeah, I could totally see the campus flooding. Thankfully though our house is pretty far from the water.....off of the crosstown.

SWMBO and I are going to get all of our stuff ready so we can leave as soon as her job lets her. Most likely Thursday.

It doesnt hurt to be prepared but that thing is still 2-3 days out from you. The only thing accurate about those things are the cone of error for a day. Considering they are projecting the eye to hit you directly, you are probably in a safer place. Cause they are almost never right ;)

It doesnt hurt to be prepared but that thing is still 2-3 days out from you. The only thing accurate about those things are the cone of error for a day. Considering they are projecting the eye to hit you directly, you are probably in a safer place. Cause they are almost never right ;)

Friday-Saturday I was in the middle of the cone and now it's going to pass 250miles SW of me. Be prepared, keep an eye on it, and hope for the best

Friday-Saturday I was in the middle of the cone and now it's going to pass 250miles SW of me. Be prepared, keep an eye on it, and hope for the best

I was actually thinking of you when I saw that. You're the only person I know of in Cape Coral.

Wow according to that website the eye is supposed to hit us dead on after landfall.

Who know where this puppy will go. It keeps updating and turning right to head back east. The eye was tracked directly over Austin at one time, and now I'd bet a six pack we won't even get some rain.

144313W_sm.gif

Your right, I mean....who knows where it's going but SWMBO and I have decided to stay in corpus. They were saying on the news that they are NOT opening the hurricane evacuation lane and that some people from San Antonio might be coming this way (don't know much about that though......)

I'm going to finish boarding up the house (only 3 windows left) move all of our guitars and amps from the lower room and drink a beer.

To the folks that live in Texas or on the Gulf Coast, how big a deal is this really going to be? My wife is in Houston for a work conference that ends today, but I was planning to fly down there and spend a long weekend with her friends that live just west of Houston. We were going to fly back Sunday.

My current thinking is that Ike won't kill us or anything, but trying to fly out of Houston the day after a hurricane might be impossible. And it wouldn't be much of a vacation, hanging out in a basement (or wherever you go for a hurricane).

So should she fly back today, and should I cancel my flight?

To the folks that live in Texas or on the Gulf Coast, how big a deal is this really going to be? My wife is in Houston for a work conference that ends today, but I was planning to fly down there and spend a long weekend with her friends that live just west of Houston. We were going to fly back Sunday.

My current thinking is that Ike won't kill us or anything, but trying to fly out of Houston the day after a hurricane might be impossible. And it wouldn't be much of a vacation, hanging out in a basement (or wherever you go for a hurricane).

So should she fly back today, and should I cancel my flight?

Typically they will close the airport in advance to make sure all the planes are somewhere else and safe. At least that is what they did in Orlando when I lived there. Had to drive to Atlanta to get a flight during the storm season of 2004. The few days after the storm were always a mess at the airport. Some of the computer models have the storm hitting just south of Houston. This means Houston will get a lot of rain and possible tornado's. I wouldn't head there unless I was into Storm Chasing.

Paul

PS Just noticed on the news that they are starting to evacuate Houston.

Ugh, freakin' hurricains! I've got to go and buy wood tonight to cover our windows.....I've never done it before but I'm sure it won't be too bad. I guess this is just the price of living on the coast....

Check out www.stormpulse.com it's got Ike coming right at us.

I thought about you on my way to work this morning when I heard NPR talking about Corpus Cristi. Good luck dude, be safe, and make sure you have plenty of homebrew...:mug:

This thing better not come any further east. I finally got power back last night and I don't know if I can handle losing power after just getting it back. We also just took down the boards and sandbags from SWMBOs house.

@adrock:
If it were me I wouldn't go and I'd tell SWMBO to come on home. Like Laymeister said the airports are useless a few days after the storm and if I had to guess they are probably closing them pretty soon. Plus I can't imagine how bad Houston would be if all the traffic lights get knocked out.

Yeah man I would NOT be going towards H-town right now....my grandparents are there and they're heading to Sugarland with my Aunt and Uncle...hope thats far enough.

I don't think Corpus is gonna get it that bad at all...sure we might get some high winds and rain but nothing too crazy. I did just finish boarding up the house though. Oh, and Evan! I'm sitting on about 45 gallons of homebrew....I think I can make it :D

I am kinda worried about my beer though. I have an ipa and a smoked porter fermenting right now. Last night I cranked the temp in my standup freezer down to 35 so if the power goes out it'll hopefully stay cold enough. They've been fermenting since last Saturday and I plan on give it an unsplashing swirl after everything is back to normal in hopes of kicking up the yeast and getting it fermenting again....does that sound like a viable plan?

Wouldn't wish harm to anyone about them himacanes. One thing I just don't get , though: I live in So Cal & everyone from the Rest of the Country loses their minds about "How can you live with those earthquakes??!!" Ya know, I've been here for 40+ years, been through all the big ones without so much as a scratch. The damage is SOOOO localized. Had to go into heavily damaged areas right after the Northridge quake in....the early 90's and it sucked! But where I lived, 30-40 miles away, nada. Rockin' & rollin' for sure but that's it.
I just can't fathom the idea of living where you have a friggin' disaster season! It seems a given that, if you live in one of those areas, maybe not this season, but surely one coming up (Stay tuned!), you will! Give me the "Big One" scenario that may not even come in my lifetime anyday.
All that said, for those of you in harms way, GET OUT! We need you! Remember the great philosopher Ron White's words of wisdom: "It's not THAT the wind is a-blowin'. It's WHAT the wind is a-blowin'! You get hit with a Volvo and it doesn't matter how many pushups you can do!"
Stay safe, folks.

And I was soooo looking foward to brewing on Sat :(

To Alamo: Good luck man on riding the storm. Remember, in an emergency, beer can serve a a source of potable water and a ready nutrition source if you end up hunkering down for awhile :mug:

Here is something that might lighten the mood. I hope you all come back to find your homes in good condition.

ATT00048.jpg

Wouldn't wish harm to anyone about them himacanes. One thing I just don't get , though: I live in So Cal & everyone from the Rest of the Country loses their minds about "How can you live with those earthquakes??!!" Ya know, I've been here for 40+ years, been through all the big ones without so much as a scratch. The damage is SOOOO localized. Had to go into heavily damaged areas right after the Northridge quake in....the early 90's and it sucked! But where I lived, 30-40 miles away, nada. Rockin' & rollin' for sure but that's it.
I just can't fathom the idea of living where you have a friggin' disaster season! It seems a given that, if you live in one of those areas, maybe not this season, but surely one coming up (Stay tuned!), you will! Give me the "Big One" scenario that may not even come in my lifetime QUOTE]

There was 44 years between Donna and Charlie(hurricanes hitting my area of Florida) and they didn't actually hit the exact same area. The best thing is we know they are coming, and while the big one might not hit in your lifetime it may also be centered under your house tomorrow(not wishing you any bad luck but emphasizing my point)

I'm with you Jim....Swmbo and I have this conversation a lot. She's from California and moved because of a big earthquake. Seriously....I'd rather be able to prepare and get the hell out if I had to. With an earthquake you never know when it'll be....

My biggest concern is my beer! I've got some in my freezer right now dialed in at 63F, I can't lose power!!!!

Latest posts

Back