Tilt hydrometer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello to anyone of you homebrewer’s that use the Tilt. My question does this Device fit into a 5gal glass carboy opening?

Can I use a Tilt Hydrometer if I don't own a smart phone or a Raspberry Pi computer? All I have is a laptop running Linux and an old flip phone.

Hey Silver ... use some of that money to buy an antiquated iphone/ipad/android tablet.

All jokes aside, I dont think it'll work. The tilt is awesome for showing trends though and customer service is as good as it gets.

The Tilt communicates only via Bluetooth technology, then the Tilt app converts the Bluetooth to WiFi and sends it whereever into the cloud assuming you've got wireless WiFi in your house. Old flip phone won't have good Bluetooth. Ask family and friends who have a fairly new phone if they will still have their previous smart phone to give you for cheap or for free. I use my son's old smartphone, nobody was ever going to use it again. Something manufactured within like the past 5 or 6 years should work.

Question related to OP's: How do you get the tilt OUT of a carboy? After racking one could obviously invert the carboy and it'll fall out, but what about before racking...any ideas on getting that little bugger out of there?

Always took mine out after racking while cleaning. Youd have a hard time otherwise

Question related to OP's: How do you get the tilt OUT of a carboy? After racking one could obviously invert the carboy and it'll fall out, but what about before racking...any ideas on getting that little bugger out of there?

Don't rack. Just condition entirely in the primary. Or rack it after it's hit final gravity and then you won't need to use it anymore anyway.

Don't rack. Just condition entirely in the primary. Or rack it after it's hit final gravity and then you won't need to use it anymore anyway.

Oh, I don't secondary unless lagering or something. But rather than let the tilt sit in a fermenter after it reaches FG (which I may do just because I don't feel like kegging, or may not have a keg free), I'd like to have the option to take it out and use it for the next batch.

It's not worth driving myself nuts over, but I thought someone may have had a similar situation and come up with a clever solution.

I'll probably break down and just get a second tilt...

Thinking of getting one of these and had a similar thought about getting it out before a longer aging period. Sanitized, non-scented dental floss wrapped around it with plenty or slack shouldn’t impede the tilting action and allow you to pull it out, assuming you can maneuver it perfectly out of the carboy opening.

Anyone see anything wrong with this approach?

Thinking of getting one of these and had a similar thought about getting it out before a longer aging period. Sanitized, non-scented dental floss wrapped around it with plenty or slack shouldn’t impede the tilting action and allow you to pull it out, assuming you can maneuver it perfectly out of the carboy opening.

It is super sensitive to that tilt. You may need to calibrate it with the floss on it. It also had really smooth sides so your floss might just slide off. It's worth a shot.

Make sure it isn't flavored floss.

Tested it in a glass of water. I tied the floss in a couple different spots and nothing seemed to affect the reading. It's easiest to pull up the tilt and have it stay straight (so it can easily come up through the carboy opening) if the knot is about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the tilt.

I'll be using this method. Simple, easy, no cost.

Great idea!

How bummed was I today to find out that the Tilt doesn’t fit into the opening of my 6 gal glass carboy. I was so stoked to use it for the first time!

My Tilt fits with plenty of space on my 6.5 gals carboys. I just leave them in for the 3-4 week fermentation/conditioning. I have two. Love them. To me not only gravity is important but also the temperature readings.

Back