Tilt hydrometer continuous logging of data

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_bran321

Reaction score
Is there a way to have the hydrometer continuously send data points to the sheet? Mine only seems to send the data that I send manually by putting in my email address into the "post a comment" section

Is there a way to have the hydrometer continuously send data points to the sheet? Mine only seems to send the data that I send manually by putting in my email address into the "post a comment" section
False alarm it's working.

I have wondered if there's a way to set it up to transmit more often than just every 15 minutes. During calibration I wished it would transmit like every 1 minute instead. On the other hand, 15 minutes is good enough for most things.

I would expect battery usage might make that idea less attractive than it might sound...

Good point. In that case, I wonder also the opposite... could it be set up to just read every 30 minutes or 60 minutes, thus extending battery life? Rhetorical question, as I think the answer is no, it's hard-wired in there I think.

Does the rest of the Tilt wake up every two seconds (seems like a waste of battery for this application) or is the BT beacon just to keep a connection alive in between actual wake-up events?

Cheers!

yes, the entire Tilt wakes up, takes the temp and angle readings, and sends a beacon, then goes back to sleep.

There is no "connection", think of the Tilt "Beacon" as a airport or lighthouse beacon.. They do not know if a plane or ship see the beacon, they just send it.... This also why you can have multiple Tilt Apps, TiltPi's, and CBP3 setups see the same tilt... The latest version of the Tilt, I believe, is BTLE (I could be wrong), and uses very little battery... I have a friend that used to code this stuff for Cypress Semiconductor and explained to me their goal is to use current at a rate where the shelf life of the lithium battery is more of a concern... they deal in micro-amps... I definitely notice an improvement in the Gen2 Tilts, but not enough to get rid of my Gen1 units any time soon!

I have a Tilt I have brewed with once. Really liked it and am getting ready to do my second batch. My question how long will the battery last? I had read that shipping can cause the battery to drain and my fermentation took 4 weeks. Should I change out the battery? How many fermentation’s can we expect from a battery?

Latest posts

Back