Tile over cement and brick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGVT

Reaction score
Ok, fellow Home Brewers, do it yourselfers and anyone that may have input. My front porch is looking pretty rough and I was thinking that maybe I would tile it. The problem is that it is cement that is cracking some and has a brick border.

Can I tile over both surfaces? Obviously it needs to be cleaned, but should a put down a coating of something like Red Guard before I tile? Is there something that is better? Am I wasting my time and pissing into the the wind?

Any input would be appreciated.

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

clean it very well
fill any holes with thin-set and apply a thin layer all over.
Add a crack isolation membrane over the cracks.
Then just tile with thin set concrete and your preferred tiles.

clean it very well
fill any holes with thin-set and apply a thin layer all over.
Add a crack isolation membrane over the cracks.
Then just tile with thin set concrete and your preferred tiles.

is crack isolation membrane the stuff that rolls out like tar paper?

I guess it would depend on the condition of the concrete, if its cracked but stable you could just patch it and use the membrane and be good, too much movement though will def crack the tiles...

Do you guys recommend using membrane that you lay on thinset rather than peel and stick ( I'm getting that vibe ;))

Ditra is ideal. But, plain old sheet vinyl flooring has also been used.

I would use the ditra for superior thinset bonding thus preventing loosening of tiles due to thermal movement. Not sure I'd cover the brick tho. For no reason other than exposed edge aesthetics. I'd leave just enough space behind the brick line for a tapered epoxy grout line.

Do you guys recommend using membrane that you lay on thinset rather than peel and stick ( I'm getting that vibe ;))

I do. The Ditra is documented to provide both a chemical and mechanical bond thus preventing future maintenance issues (when properly installed).

Ditra is ideal. But, plain old sheet vinyl flooring has also been used.

I would use the ditra for superior thinset bonding thus preventing loosening of tiles due to thermal movement. Not sure I'd cover the brick tho. For no reason other than exposed edge aesthetics. I'd leave just enough space behind the brick line for a tapered epoxy grout line.

Ok, Thanks. When I get around to doing the job, I'll use the Ditra.

I like the idea of the tapered grout line, but the brick looks bad and is in pretty bad shape. Pieces are broken off and there are a lot of chips.

I guess, I could remove it and replace it. Not sure I'm capable, though

Ok, Thanks. When I get around to doing the job, I'll use the Ditra.

I like the idea of the tapered grout line, but the brick looks bad and is in pretty bad shape. Pieces are broken off and there are a lot of chips.

I guess, I could remove it and replace it. Not sure I'm capable, though

Aside from the missing quarter brick, I do not think the brick looks "bad". Weathered, yes. But that is what brick will do. At least for now, it ties in with the rest of the house.

Curious tho', do you have standing water issues on that porch? There is a lot of, what looks like, water/sediment staining going on there. If yes, you have an opportunity here to correct for some of that by giving it more slope away from the house.

Aside from the missing quarter brick, I do not think the brick looks "bad". Weathered, yes. But that is what brick will do. At least for now, it ties in with the rest of the house.

Curious tho', do you have standing water issues on that porch? There is a lot of, what looks like, water/sediment staining going on there. If yes, you have an opportunity here to correct for some of that by giving it more slope away from the house.

No standing water, but the gable where roof and porch meet directs the rain water to a spot right next to the porch and splashes the hell out of the porch on that side.

I had to redirect the water in a couple of other places to keep it from running down the side of the house. I haven't figured out how or where to redirect. I guess the best solution would be a gutter (the house had none until I put one up in the back where the water was running straight onto my deck. If had splashed up and rotted my back door)

I would like to slap the people that designed this house. So many stupid design features and crappy construction/cut corners that are causing me headache.

Unless you replace the whole brick area, it's always going to be a bit "messy" on that edge, so I agree with others that leaving them and tiling to the edge of the brick is easiest in this case, maybe just paint the bricks similar to the tile colour?

The only other solution would be to chop the bricks all as short as the chipped one and tiling over that "new" edge.

Unless you replace the whole brick area, it's always going to be a bit "messy" on that edge, so I agree with others that leaving them and tiling to the edge of the brick is easiest in this case, maybe just paint the bricks similar to the tile colour?

The only other solution would be to chop the bricks all as short as the chipped one and tiling over that "new" edge.

That is what I as thinking of doing when I first looked at it. I thought I would fill in under the overhang of brick and then tile the face as well as the surface of the porch.

Not sure what I am going to do, now. Ha!

That is what I as thinking of doing when I first looked at it. I thought I would fill in under the overhang of brick and then tile the face as well as the surface of the porch.

Not sure what I am going to do, now. Ha!

Well, you could replace the outer ring of brick with pavers. Less likely to show the same level of wear as brick, also less likely to chip. Although not immune to it.

And, if done/planned properly. You could simply infill the outer ring with thinner drylock pavers thus eliminating the potential for cracking, thinset, grout, or even the Ditra.

Well, you could replace the outer ring of brick with pavers. Less likely to show the same level of wear as brick, also less likely to chip. Although not immune to it.

And, if done/planned properly. You could simply infill the outer ring with thinner drylock pavers thus eliminating the potential for cracking, thinset, grout, or even the Ditra.

More stuff to think about. Ha!

It will probably be a while before I get to doing this. Gives me some time to think about it.

The main thing is that you all reinforced that it is a doable job-one that I feel that I can handle.

Check into "concrete staining and decorating". If there is someone in your area that does this, they can make that crack and everything else look AMAZING!

Latest posts

Back