Tight mill setting issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe

Reaction score
I cant mill grain below .025. If i do it will not grab the grain at all...however it grabs malted wheat just fine at that range. Do i need to wet the grain? Is my barley crusher just crappy?

Also double milling is impossible it will not catch either. I would like to up my efficiency since my brewhouse efficiency with my pump and chiller is not the greatest atm. Mash efficiency is usually 75% but brewhouse is ~64% with liquid loss etc.

Set the gap at 0.035 or so for the first pass. Second pass tighten it down to wherever you want. My second pass is at 0.010 and I use a barley crusher.

Agree with TexasWine. You'll need to run it through in two passes if you want flour.

I have my mill set to .030 and just run one pass. Typical efficiency is 80-82% at that setting, but I also do a small (1.5g) sparge on every brew.

Agree with TexasWine. You'll need to run it through in two passes if you want flour.

I have my mill set to .030 and just run one pass. Typical efficiency is 80-82% at that setting, but I also do a small (1.5g) sparge on every brew.

+1 on .030-.032. What mill do you have? How many rollers?
Motorized?

I have the standard Monster MM2 (2X Ø1.5" x 6" rollers). I use my drill to run it, so yes, technically, motorized.

Back