three kegs, three co2 volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inchrisin

Reaction score
I just bought my kegging equipment and I have 3 kegs, a 3-way T and one dual regulator. I'm going to serve 10 gal of cream ale 2.7 CO2 volumes, and one ESB 1.4 CO2 volumes. I am wondering if I can carb them seperately. I'll hook up the ESB and then unhook it to get the proper carb. I'll hook up the other two kegs and carb them up. I'll reset the serving pressure to 12PSI and hook all three up to my Ts. I'm hoping that each will pour properly. Is this possible, or will the CO2 be redistributed somehow? I'm hoping to avoid buying a secondary regulator.

What would be the best way to pull this off?

Cheers!

buy a secondary reg.

If all the kegs are going to be drank in a day, you could just hook them up. But if you leave them all at 12psi for a while you'll end up with the same carb level.

If your 3-way doesn't have check valves, I'd vent the pressure on each keg before attaching it to the splitter.

B

Yup, no way around it....in just a few days, they'll all end up at 12 PSIs worth of CO2, which is around 2.4-2.5 volumes depending on fridge temp.

Well, ONLY way around it without a secondary reg would be to only have one or the other hooked up to the gas at a time, and adjust the reg each time. So, reg set at 3 PSI or whatever it takes to get 1.4 volumes, (ain't much, if I recall), pour a pint of ESB. Disconnect ESB, connect cream ale, increase pressure to 15 PSI or whatever you need for 2.7 vol, dispense a pint of that...rinse and repeat.

buy a secondary reg.

If all the kegs are going to be drank in a day, you could just hook them up. But if you leave them all at 12psi for a while you'll end up with the same carb level.

If your 3-way doesn't have check valves, I'd vent the pressure on each keg before attaching it to the splitter.

B

It's for a wedding, and it'd be done in a day. You think this will work out? :)

yeah, it'll work fine for the party.

but there's no long-term solution around buying more regs. unfortnately.

Yeah, in a day you're fine. Dispense all at 12 PSI or greater. It's far easier to dispense lower carbed beer at the correct pressure for a balanced system, (which is usually 10+ PSI based on 5+ ft of beer line), than it is to dispense higher carbed beer at a pressure too low for the system, (CO2 comes out of solution).

Back