American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giving this another shot this week. First AG recipe I did was this, but when I brewed it a second time it ended up reeking of cat piss. Haven't touched Citra in a homebrew since, but it's one of my favorite hops in commercial brews. Anyone else have the catty issue with this? Thinking of subbing out the FWH.

Dry hop day. Gravity is 1.013 after 5 days in primary. Sample tasted amazing. I'll move to keg in 4-5 days.

1k1PC7H.jpg

(I scaled recipe to 5.25 gal, that's why I'm using 2.6 oz.)

Dry hop day. Gravity is 1.013 after 5 days in primary. Sample tasted amazing. I'll move to keg in 4-5 days.

1k1PC7H.jpg

(I scaled recipe to 5.25 gal, that's why I'm using 2.6 oz.)

Nice! I'll be dry hopping later today. Gotta spend time with SWMBO first.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Going to try this recipe. Looking for a great spring/summer beer. Is the recipe on the first page the current recipe? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Dry hopping now. My gawd was the sample delicious, mango and grapefruit! OG was 1.063 and finished at 1.012 after 7 days. Gotta say hats off to skeezer! If the finished product is as good as the sample this will be a regular in my fridge.

Brew last Sunday and pitched S-04 into 13G of 1.059 with O2, the heavy ferment slowed by Wednesday, but it's still clicking along. Today it has slowed a lot, and gravity is at 1.012 now. Dry hopping with 3oz Citra, 2oz Aussie Summer, and 1oz Motueka. I think I was aiming at a sub 6% beer, so I'm considering a small dilution since it looks like I'm at 6.5%?

Looks like I'm at 6.1% abv so I'll leave it alone. The surprising thing is that S04 has hit the 80% apparent attenuation mark. I know my mash temp ended at 151F, but I didn't take measurements after 15 mins into the mash like I usually do. Knowing my gear and heat loses, it was probably 153F at the beginning.

Brewed almost 10 days ago and after reading revvys post about 4 weeks in the primary I'm considering not dry hopping until day 23. Thoughts?

no need to wait 23 days at all. i brewed last Thursday and plan on giving it about 10 days. i usually do 10-14 primary tops. i'm sure if you did a gravity check are you prob already at FG. S-04 ferments quickly from my experience.

Brewed almost 10 days ago and after reading revvys post about 4 weeks in the primary I'm considering not dry hopping until day 23. Thoughts?

I don't really see the point in waiting that long. I'm sure your primary fermentation is done and you are at your FG. I'd say dry hop soon and bottle 7 days after dry hopping.

...when I brewed it a second time it ended up reeking of cat piss. Haven't touched Citra in a homebrew since, but it's one of my favorite hops in commercial brews. Anyone else have the catty issue with this? Thinking of subbing out the FWH.

I got that 'cat piss' thing going in my ZD batch too. It wasn't too bad, but was definitely there. When you first pour it into the glass the aroma is amazing, all tropical fruit...but after about 5 minutes, the cat piss starts creeping in. Doesn't affect the taste, just the aroma. The ZD Clone still came out awesome and it did fairly well in a side-by side tasting with the real ZD. I also had the same reaction...not wanting to brew with Citra after the cat piss.

So now that this has been sessions a few times I have a few observations. I made this beer slightly stronger, just because I always do. Also, the citra hops do not add a whole lot of bite when used as the bittering hop. This makes the beer very unique, and I have not tried the original. Next time I brew this, I'm going to add a small amount of a high alpha, just to get some bite in the beginning. Overall, one of my favorite beers, and a sure staple from now on.

We did a full four weeks in the primary. Dry hopped at day 23.
This beer turned out AMAZING

I was just curious about changing the aroma hops timings and amounts and moving some to hop steep to maximize aroma. But now I think I'm leaning towards brewing as is. Still undecided.

I agree. I think a long steeping time of 30-45 minutes at 180°F would be a great change.

I was just curious about changing the aroma hops timings and amounts and moving some to hop steep to maximize aroma. But now I think I'm leaning towards brewing as is. Still undecided.

I agree. I think a long steeping time of 30-45 minutes at 180°F would be a great change.

I got that 'cat piss' thing going in my ZD batch too. It wasn't too bad, but was definitely there. When you first pour it into the glass the aroma is amazing, all tropical fruit...but after about 5 minutes, the cat piss starts creeping in. Doesn't affect the taste, just the aroma. The ZD Clone still came out awesome and it did fairly well in a side-by side tasting with the real ZD. I also had the same reaction...not wanting to brew with Citra after the cat piss.

Out of curiosity, any chance this is light-strike? Were you outdoors on a sunny day drinking out of a clear glass?

I did ten gallons last spring. Still have some left actually. I thought it was good but not as awesome as some describe. I think the hop character would benefit from a long steep, but that just my opinion.

TD

Made this and just kegged it this past week, and it is awesome. Made a couple of adjustments...used Cara-Pils/Dextrine instead of carafoam, US-05 instead of S-04, and I changed up the hop charge as follows:
.25oz each of Warrior, Citra and Nelson Sauvin @ 60min
.5oz Citra @ 20min
.5oz Nelson Sauvin @ 15min
.75oz Citra @ 5min
.5oz each of Citra, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin @ 1min
Dry hopped with 1oz each of Citra, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin for 7 days after 2 weeks in the primary. Just tossed them in for a week.

Super tropical fruits in the nose, lots of citrus and tropicals in the taste, and a smooth bitterness, not too sharp at all. Even with the US-05, I still get a touch of malt sweetness around the edges. Not at all dry. I've made several IPA's, and I think this one is the best yet! ABV came in right at 7%.

Made this and just kegged it this past week, and it is awesome. Made a couple of adjustments...used Cara-Pils/Dextrine instead of carafoam, US-05 instead of S-04, and I changed up the hop charge as follows:
.25oz each of Warrior, Citra and Nelson Sauvin @ 60min
.5oz Citra @ 20min
.5oz Nelson Sauvin @ 15min
.75oz Citra @ 5min
.5oz each of Citra, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin @ 1min
Dry hopped with 1oz each of Citra, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin for 7 days after 2 weeks in the primary. Just tossed them in for a week.

Super tropical fruits in the nose, lots of citrus and tropicals in the taste, and a smooth bitterness, not too sharp at all. Even with the US-05, I still get a touch of malt sweetness around the edges. Not at all dry. I've made several IPA's, and I think this one is the best yet! ABV came in right at 7%.

Done several variations by tweaking the grain and hops. This is a solid recipe, and makes a great IPA no matter what little changes are made. :rockin:

Done several variations by tweaking the grain and hops. This is a solid recipe, and makes a great IPA no matter what little changes are made. :rockin:

Me too. I've made an all citra, all centennial, citra/centennial, citra/chinook/warrior/Amarillo. Great recipe and base. I do prefer s05 for this recipe for personal tastes, but I do agree it isn't a "clone" with 05. I'm also still learning all the different flavors of individual hops.

Mine was also in the aroma; however, it was so overpowering that I couldn't drink it. After sitting in the keg a couple months and then dry-hopped with Amarillo, it become drinkable and somewhat tasty.

Pardon me for not reading through the entire thread but I'm making this this weekend and my lhbs did not have London esb yeast so I opted for Wyeast 1098 British Ale. Anyone use that? Is it a good substitute?

Bottled this weekend. Looking forward to drinking this in a few weeks. Smelled delicious while bottling!

Has any one dried hop this in a keg ?

Btw, so far this is the most delicious smelling ferment I've had yet, and I've been brewing for 3 years. Wow, this smells amazing

Back