American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a side note, my buddy luckily grabbed a 6 pack of actual Zombie Dust a couple hours ago from a small liquor store in southern Indiana. We're gonna save one of the bottles to try against mine to see how close it is.

Upped the 2 row by 2lbs. hoping to make a slightly stronger version.... And still hit 1065 bang on and exactly 6 gallons in the fermenter, lol
Excited to see how this comes out as I've never had the real thing or seen it locally

Still fermenting away in my fermentation chamber. I started the Wyeast 1968 at 66 degrees and have bumped it up to 68. I hope to have it in the keg and drinkable in a month. Can't wait.

Hey all, I just kegged this, I brewed it about 4 weeks ago.

I've had my fair share of 3fzd, and have a case of it in my fridge right now as well and I'll say that this is very close however it is too bitter still, with a lingering bitterness that the real thing doesn't have. The aroma, appearance, and strange malty yeast character is there and spot on.

This is an excellent beer. Cant wait to tweak and try it over and over.

pentiumone133 said:
Hey all, I just kegged this, I brewed it about 4 weeks ago. I've had my fair share of 3fzd, and have a case of it in my fridge right now as well and I'll say that this is very close however it is too bitter still, with a lingering bitterness that the real thing doesn't have. The aroma, appearance, and strange malty yeast character is there and spot on. This is an excellent beer. Cant wait to tweak and try it over and over.

Give 3-4 weeks in keg. Bitterness will fall off some. You may be spot on.

Hi I'm brewing a pm batch of this this weekend. I'm still pretty new to brewing. Why am I getting over 120 IBU when I plug the hop schedule into brewers friend's recipe builder? I have it set for a 3G boil and a 5G batch. Edit: NM I had my DME as a late addition. Now it's at 59

Hi I'm looking at brewing somethin similar to this but I was told to use US-05 instead of S-04, I was told the 5 will bring out the flavours more so why exactly does this recipe call for S-04? Wat should I use.

4 is English and 5 is American. I would suggest splitting the batch and trying both so you can learn the difference and make your decisions in the future based on your preference. 4 is what I have used every time I have made this. The best batch of this I have tasted that anyone brewed used the London Ale 3 from Wyeast1318. There is so much more that goes into this beer than the yeast. Fresh good citra hops are the hardest part to nail in my opinion.

Made this for the third time this weekend. I used S-04 and S-05 the previous two times and prefer the S-04. This one is definitely going into my regular rotation.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and pretty new to homebrewing in general. I've made 4 batches so far. All were extract with steeping grains. I love ZD (live near Munster so I go to 3F frequently) and I noticed the OP has an extract/PM version of this recipe at the top of the thread. I'd really like to try it, so I read this entire thread (yes - all 77 pages) and, unfortunately, now I'm extremely confused from information overload :confused:

It sounds like a few people said this can be an extract w/ steeping grains, but others say you have to do a PM. Which is it? Can I steep the grains in the amounts listed in the 3 gallon "extract/PM" recipe at 150 - 155 F for 45-60 minutes in 3 gallons water, then add the FWH and bring to a boil, add the DME and then do the remaining hop additions as scheduled for a 60-minute 3g. boil?

Or... would I have to do a true PM with the grains if I don't want to go all-grain?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still a newbie and not quite sure I want my first partial mash to be a recipe this expensive, in case I don't do it right.

Thanks in advance :mug:

I made this with S-04 a while back and fermented at about 63-64 if I remember correctly. It was awesome - one of my best beers.

After reading every page of this post I decided it was time to become a member. I gathered the extract ingredients last time at my not so local homebrew store. This will only be my third batch and I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on average fermentation times. I plan to dry hop in secondary as well. I only bought one package of wyeast for this, will it be enough? Also both my kits I've done said steep grains 150-155 for half hour. Can I do the same for this with good results? Thanks for the info in advance!:mug:

After reading every page of this post I decided it was time to become a member. I gathered the extract ingredients last time at my not so local homebrew store. This will only be my third batch and I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on average fermentation times. I plan to dry hop in secondary as well. I only bought one package of wyeast for this, will it be enough? Also both my kits I've done said steep grains 150-155 for half hour. Can I do the same for this with good results? Thanks for the info in advance!:mug:

Typically I wait about 10-12 days, check gravity, and then dry hop if FG is in the low teens a few days in a row.

I would say if you're not used to making starters then 1 packet will be ok as long as the manufacturer's date is pretty recent. The packet says it will work for wort under 1.060 but I think this is 1.068 yes? Remember to sanitize the outside of the wyeast packet.

If you are steeping (and using extract) and not mashing, temp doesn't matter all that much between 150-155. Mashing would be different, depending on the yeast you would adjust your mash between this temp range to get desired sweetness. Should be fairly dry, with a bit of sweetness to mellow it out.

Good Luck!!!!:mug:

One wyeast pack is only 100 billion cells, about half what you need. Either make a starter or grab another if you can. You can get by with 1, but you will be under pitching and likely will have some off flavors.

Thanks for the replies. I have one 1968 London esb with manufactures date of October 2nd and have not researched starters. I plan to brew next weekend maybe I can make the 60 mile trip there to grab another pack.

The_dude_ said:
Thanks for the replies. I have one 1968 London esb with manufactures date of October 2nd and have not researched starters. I plan to brew next weekend maybe I can make the 60 mile trip there to grab another pack.

Use the yeastcalc.com website and plug in your recipe info for predicted OG and number of gallons. It will give you the info you need if you want to build a starter.

TD

The_dude_ said:

Make a starter I belie it's a 4-1 ration of water to DME There are plenty of videos on line and you don't need a stir plate just shake it up every couple of hours. It will make a difference. Also you can make a stir plate for very cheep for future starters I made mine for 15$

Another idea.

Try safale S-04 dry yeast if you have concerns about under pitching with your liquid yeast. The dry yeasts are less sensitive to temperature fluctuations during SHIPPING and handling than liquid yeasts, and when properly hydrated, have double the cell count as a vial/pouch.

TD

just ordered my ingredients, been planning this a while but the LHBS had no citra was so happy to see it come in cant wait to try this. a little worried about the S-04 as i havent had much look with it but we'll see gonna really nail my mash temps on this one. wish me luck

It'll be tasty irishrover. I made it with S-04 and it came out great - I'd ferment it at around 63 or so to keep it clean. Enjoy the brew.

Getting ready to transfer to secondary after ~3 wks primary as I want to reuse the yeast for a dead guy ale. Then dry hop for a few days and keg. It tasted good after day 5, and that was the last day I tried it! It did seem to have more Mango zing than I remembered getting from the real thing though.

Brewed this all grain for the 3rd time yesterday. Used Wyeast 1450 this time. Ended up with 5.5 gallons in the primary at OG 1.060. I had 2012 citra leaf for this recipe. Hoping they were from a good batch!

I brewed the extract version of this recipe in just before Halloween, and bottled it last Tuesday. I have been drinking it for the last few days and I can say without a doubt that this is the best beer I have made to date.

I think I will be brewing this one again right after my current batch is bottled.

brewed a 4 gallon batch tonight, cant wait to try it, had a problem tho, just as i went to weigh out my grains i realised my carapils went walkies, not sure if it was actually delievered when i ordered but anyway i subsitiuted it for wheat, any idea how this may effect the final beer? is it that much of a big deal?

5oz? you probably wouldn't notice anything.

Brewed this tonight for first time as well. :mug:

i pitched my yeast about 4 hours ago and its already bubbling like crazy and thats with 3 gallons of head space, iv never had that before, glad i have that extra headspace now :cross:

Just poured my first pint.... best beer yet! I clogged the out post with all the hop sediment so I had to disassemble it and clean it first.

ForumRunner_20131201_201527.jpg

Just a quick question about fermentation, it says ferment for 7-10 days and dry hop for 10 days this is only 17-20 days in primary that seems pretty short I usually do 21 days atleast, why so short?

Just a quick question about fermentation, it says ferment for 7-10 days and dry hop for 10 days this is only 17-20 days in primary that seems pretty short I usually do 21 days atleast, why so short?

In my experience the 17 to 20 days is plenty of time for a Pale Ale, generally quick to ferment and dry hopping does not take long either.

Dave

Just mashed in @ 151-152. Upped the batch to 6 gallons to account for trub and my seemingly random boil rates.

Just wanted to update that I have this kegged and it's absolutely fantastic. I'm bringing the keg to a Christmas party tomorrow where it will get destroyed. Cheers to skeezer for developing this recipe. This beer will be a regular on tap. I just got a pound of Citra in today for my next batch.

Looking forward to doing this as possibly my next brew. Does anyone know where to get 1lb of citra hop pellets? i can seem to find them in bulk and would prefer that since im using almost 9oz this batch and IPAs will be brewed regularly.

thanks

Back