American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ill have to pick some up :) I like the idea if bottling a few for the future and keggin the rest for now: :)

Danno81 said:
What if the beer is already carbonated from the co2 ?

I have no idea what your asking. If its kegged its carbed from being kegged and won't need anything but a bottle cap to seal up to save. Purge bottles with co2 and call it done. No need for anything else.

Rebelbrewer.com has them for 2.30 a oz that's the cheapest I've seen them

Finally starting drinking this recipe. It is very good!

Not sure what this beer tastes like commercially as I can't find any where I live. Would like to compare with my batch.

hethacker12 said:
ugh just bought a batch of this today, and the hops alone cost $27.00 :( but can't wait to try this bad boy out :mug:

Consider buying hops by the pound - you can save a LOT of money on these hop-intensive brews.

That's what I did, bought a pound. I have lately been getting some things from hopshack. I also had bought some cones, thinking it would be fun to run them through the hop rocket. However, I tried doing this with my Pliny clone and three oz Columbus hops and had to eliminate the "randalizer" as it was overpowering the beer. I wonder if the Citra hops would be less intense on the palate however. It tasted outrageous in the still uncarbonated keg I must say.. I might add some more dry hops to my other half sitting in another carboy for the time being.

TD

Just checked mine today , and the krauson on it fell and airlock activity slowed to a crawl , normal ? I pitched Sunday night .

That's what I did, bought a pound. I have lately been getting some things from hopshack. I also had bought some cones, thinking it would be fun to run them through the hop rocket. However, I tried doing this with my Pliny clone and three oz Columbus hops and had to eliminate the "randalizer" as it was overpowering the beer. I wonder if the Citra hops would be less intense on the palate however. It tasted outrageous in the still uncarbonated keg I must say.. I might add some more dry hops to my other half sitting in another carboy for the time being.

TD

Citra is way more powerful than Columbus.. Columbus is a good hop, dank and juicy, something I think people have to grow into.

Citra in small amounts.. most love.. Citra in large amounts.. takes some getting to used too. I did a huge hopstand on my ZD clone, and I really like Citra, and I'll be honest, I had to let it sit in the keg carbed for a while. I didn't like it much. Melon was out of this world over the top.. 3 weeks later, it taste good now, really enjoying it.

FATC1TY said:
Citra is way more powerful than Columbus.. Columbus is a good hop, dank and juicy, something I think people have to grow into.

Citra in small amounts.. most love.. Citra in large amounts.. takes some getting to used too. I did a huge hopstand on my ZD clone, and I really like Citra, and I'll be honest, I had to let it sit in the keg carbed for a while. I didn't like it much. Melon was out of this world over the top.. 3 weeks later, it taste good now, really enjoying it.

I was tasting mine some more last night. It needs a touch more co2. Can't get three Floyd's where I live so nothing to compare to. Maybe rampant?

I like the flavor, but was expecting more in your face aroma. I did a 3 or 4 ounce hop stand at 140°F for about 30 minutes. Maybe I should've added one ounce at 180, and another ounce at 170, etc while I was immersion chilling. I also ran off through my hop rocket filled with leaf hops. I might consider dry hopping in the keg, but I seem to have had problems with doing that lately. I could always hook up the hop rocket and add some cones and dispense through that.

It's spent a month to six weeks in the secondary, I'd need to check my notes, but it might even be older, so should be fully conditioned and matured. Maybe that was to long. I think I will add a second dose of dry hops to my other carboy, but they're leaf hops and I know it'll add some oxygen in doing so...

TD.

Interesting.. I do a 170-160* hopstand. Did it for... 45 min or so..

Primary for roughly a week and a half, and kegged it after crashing, put 3 ounces of leaf Citra in the keg, purged and let it sit for a week. Put it in keezer, carbed in a week..

I use a SS hose clamp to suspend my hop bag in the keg and haven't had any issues hopping in the kegs.

FATC1TY said:
Interesting.. I do a 170-160* hopstand. Did it for... 45 min or so..

Primary for roughly a week and a half, and kegged it after crashing, put 3 ounces of leaf Citra in the keg, purged and let it sit for a week. Put it in keezer, carbed in a week..

I use a SS hose clamp to suspend my hop bag in the keg and haven't had any issues hopping in the kegs.

I think I am going to buy some clamps on my way home (where do they all end up going! ) and dry hop my keg when I get home. I want more!

TD

GoldenShowerGladiator said:
7.25 lbs it is! i'm going to the LHBS today and hoping the cost of citra doesn't cripple me.

i think i'm going to buy a bigger pot and start doing BIAB. i'm tired of getting raped by the cost of extract and i don't have the money to fully convert to all-grain

anyways, i'll let you know how this turns out. thanks for the help, friendo

Keep in mind. If cold and full you might get some foam. Be prepared for it.

Also. At keg temps you'll need to give it a longer time to dry hop. 2 weeks and no less than 10 days seems to be my sweet spot at 36 degrees.

Keep in mind. If cold and full you might get some foam. Be prepared for it.

Also. At keg temps you'll need to give it a longer time to dry hop. 2 weeks and no less than 10 days seems to be my sweet spot at 36 degrees.

Yep, I've done keg hopping plenty of times, but lately I had some bad experiences. clogged dip tube. Turns out it was a butt load of crud that had made its way in from the secondary when I filled the keg, NOT the dry hops.

I had 3 oz of leaf citra. I added 1 oz to my carboy with the other half of my brew, and going to add 2 oz to my keg and clamp to the gas in tube or the air relief valve nubbin, and weighted down with a TC fitting cover.

TD

Hey everybody,

Quick heads up, I brewed the recipe at the top of the thread...

My take is this: I've brewed about 30 batches of a variety of IPA's, double IPAs, Pales, as that is my genre of choice--this was the best I've done by a wide, wide margin, and frankly one of the better beers to cross my palette. I could not have been more impressed. I have a series of riker scales I use to assess my beer so that I can improve and grow as a brewer, it was hard not to score this as a 10 on each of the seven domains.

I haven't had the original, but I have had Alpha King, and Dreadnaught, so I can kind of envision what they were going for with the Citra hops. However, I cannot attest to its merit as a clone--on its own it stands out quite well.

Here is what it looked like. Frankly this picture didn't do it justice, it was much lighter than this as it was taken in dim light with a lousy camera. I would compare the color favorably to an original Pliny the Elder a Bell's Two Hearted.

zombie.JPG

I am brewing the pm version of this tomorrow. Two questions, how long should I mash for and how much water should I sparge with?

I am brewing the pm version of this tomorrow. Two questions, how long should I mash for and how much water should I sparge with?

I've done all of one PM batch (this one, probably the best beer I've ever made) so take this with a grain of salt. But after reading DeathBrewer's indespensible PM tutorial, I did the following:

- 1.25 quarts water per lb. grain. (I used 1lb Munich, 1lb 2 Row, and 1/2 lb each of Carafoam, Crystal and Melanoiden, so 4.4 quarts water).

- Target mash temp of 152 F. Using the online calculator Deathbrewer recommended, I heated to 167 F with the goal of dropping to 152 F after my room temp grain was added. My temp went a bit lower after adding the grains so I added a little boiling water to get back to 152 F -- next time I'll probably heat to 170 F before adding the grain. If you're mashing in a pot, cover it with a towel/blanket to minimize heat loss during the mash.

- I intended to mash for 45 mins but got busy and left it for 1.5 hours. Everything I've read suggests 45 mins should be plenty though. After mashing I wrung the grain sack out and set it aside, and then tossed in the first wort hops.

- I "sparged" by bringing the remainder of my boil volume (5.75 gallons) to 160 F, killing the heat and letting the grain sack steep in that for 15 mins. (after which I wrung it out again and then discarded).

- To complete the story, I used 8 lb LME in the boil. With all of the above, my OG and FG were dead on, and as I say this beer is incredible. Will definitely be making this one again.

Is dry hopping in a hop bag ok to do?

I've done that in the keg before. I usually steam sanitize the hop bag before loading with hops. I like the very fine mesh nylon hop bags for this. Lately, I've decided I would rather just dry hop near the end of primary fermentation or after secondary fermentation/conditioning.

TD

Quick question that I'm sure has been answered...why when I put the recipe into BeerSmith do I get 92+ IBUs for the extract version? Is there something obvious that I am screwing up? Thanks!

dbrulet said:
Quick question that I'm sure has been answered...why when I put the recipe into BeerSmith do I get 92+ IBUs for the extract version? Is there something obvious that I am screwing up? Thanks!

FWH Is calculated as a 20 minute addition.

Ok so this is a total newb question (only brewed 20 gallons so far) what is "first wort hop" Is it the firs hop you add? Why does beer smith have a tab for it what's the significance. Why not just say the time to add it. like 20min or 60min why the extra acronym? I told you stupid newb question.

Just picked up the rest if the ingredients I needed for the zombie dust got a great deal on the citra 7oz for 6.50 ;) can't wait to brew it up.

Skeezer have u ever left it in the primary for the full 3-4 weeks before keging or do you recommend using a secondary for the dry hop stage?

Danno81 said:
Just picked up the rest if the ingredients I needed for the zombie dust got a great deal on the citra 7oz for 6.50 ;) can't wait to brew it up.

Skeezer have u ever left it in the primary for the full 3-4 weeks before keging or do you recommend using a secondary for the dry hop stage?

I have done both but now i usually just dry hop in the keg. Any of those options would be fine

I brewed, gave it a week and half and it was done, and then kegged it and dry hopped in the keg. Worked out just fine, although it took a couple of weeks after the fact for the melon notes to calm down and become drinkable.

Skeezer: my buddy brewed this last night and was really disappointed to find out the extract recipe yielded a 1.050 wort at 5 gallon volume. Following your recipe on the OP how does that calculate to 1.065? Here is what I am getting even when I crank the efficiency up to 99%.

image-3823235217.jpg

Skeezer: my buddy brewed this last night and was really disappointed to find out the extract recipe yielded a 1.050 wort at 5 gallon volume. Following your recipe on the OP how does that calculate to 1.065? Here is what I am getting even when I crank the efficiency up to 99%.

Looks like you used LME interchangeably with DME. The dry extract is more concentrated so if you go liquid you need to use more (I generally multiply the DME weight by 1.25 if swapping in LME).

Back