Three batches of several beers forgotten in my basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lapja

Reaction score
Humm... this is embarrassing.

I brewed 3 batches this summer and then week after week ... I suddenly realised that they have been sitting there for 6 months now untouched after finishing fermentation. No signs of nasty infection even though there quite few black stuff on the surface.

My question is, how much risky is to attempt a rescue ? My fear is botulism as it does not need oxygen to develop. Of course I would not expect them to taste like pale ales, but rather Belgian sours.

Were they on the yeast cake the entire time? Or in secondary?

I wouldn't worry about botulism, I've never heard of it ever being a problem with home brew... Transfer and taste... even if they taste a bit oxydized, sour, or anything off, that flavor can mellow out a couple weeks in the bottle...

I had a beer forgotten and left alone in secondary for almost 10 years... I bottled it and it's not bad... It's a bit on the acidic side but after a couple weeks in the bottle that flavor is mellowing out.

They were on the yeast cake. I don't do secondary usually.

Wow 10 years, could never imagine it could leave that long!

The reason I am afraid of botulism is that I usually brew low gravity beers, these must have been around 1038 or 1042 OG

But I guess there is no way to tell then by trying it out.

Well, I'm fairly sure there's still no risk for botulism. As far as off flavors from being on the yeast that long, you may have some off flavors but i still think you'll be ok and i'd recommend going ahead and bottling... that time spent could even give you a flavor you like...

Humm... this is embarrassing.

I brewed 3 batches this summer and then week after week ... I suddenly realised that they have been sitting there for 6 months now untouched after finishing fermentation. No signs of nasty infection even though there quite few black stuff on the surface.

My question is, how much risky is to attempt a rescue ? My fear is botulism as it does not need oxygen to develop. Of course I would not expect them to taste like pale ales, but rather Belgian sours.

Wow, talk about getting some maturity on the beer even before bottling.:ban:

Botulin is inhibited by the acidity of the beer and the antiseptic qualities of the hops. Bottling a wort for yeast starters are the problem areas as there isn't the acidity nor the hops in them.

Taste the beers before you bottle them. Oxidized beer never become better. If they still taste good (likely), bottle them up and give them only one week before sampling a bottle. :rock:

Back