Three apple trees results too many apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazam

Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone have an idea what could be done to excess apples next summer? I've thought about cyser or apple wheat ale. As far as processing goes, I don't want to peel every apple but slicing them or using a blender on them would be doable. How can I avoid the taste of pectin in my brews?

Pectin doesn't really have a flavor. If you want to avoid the haze from pectic, look into pectinase.

Hey,
Does anyone have an idea what could be done to excess apples next summer? I've thought about cyser or apple wheat ale. As far as processing goes, I don't want to peel every apple but slicing them or using a blender on them would be doable. How can I avoid the taste of pectin in my brews?
Just do a straight cider, no cooking, no haze. Juice+yeast+time. Easy-peasy.

@chazam - I have two apple trees that are not high producers, but enough to allow me to make a 5 gallon batch of hard cider each year. I use a fruit and vegetable juicer to extract the juice from quartered apples. There is no need to peel them. I have also found that letting the raw cider sit in the refrigerator for a few hours allows the pectin and other solids to settle. I had tried various straining methods, but none worked well. Then it is easy to pour the fairly clear raw cider into a fermenter. I have tried pasteurizing the raw cider in the past, but this has typically led to scortching the pot unless you are continually stirring. I no longer pasteurize.

Thank you for all the answers. I'd be quite alone with my brews without this community and probably banging my head to the wall. 😅

Pectin doesn't really have a flavor. If you want to avoid the haze from pectic, look into pectinase.
Ah, it's just going to cause haze. That doesn't bother me.

You need an apple scratter and press. Then it's a rabbit hole and you'll end up planting more trees.
Those trees are not technically mine but still owned by our family. One time I was jokingly talking about the productivity of our apple trees and adding of more apple trees for more productivity. I got laughter and smirks since there has been already the problem with having too many apples already. 😆

Or just rid yourself of them and give to a food kitchen or shelter.
Would they want apples or hard cider (psst. it's only the latter that is correct answer). But seriously speaking, that's a good idea too.

Instant Pot apple sauce
Pancakes + apple sauce, yes please. 🤔

Just do a straight cider, no cooking, no haze. Juice+yeast+time. Easy-peasy.

I got an idea from this guy about doing mead from the apples. Now I wouldn't use honey (that s is too damn expensive) and would use instead sugar so it'd probably become hard cider. 🤔 This idea is my top 1 atm.

PS. How does hard cider and mead differ from each other? The latter has honey in it?

@chazam - I have two apple trees that are not high producers, but enough to allow me to make a 5 gallon batch of hard cider each year. I use a fruit and vegetable juicer to extract the juice from quartered apples. There is no need to peel them. I have also found that letting the raw cider sit in the refrigerator for a few hours allows the pectin and other solids to settle. I had tried various straining methods, but none worked well. Then it is easy to pour the fairly clear raw cider into a fermenter. I have tried pasteurizing the raw cider in the past, but this has typically led to the pot unless you are continually stirring. I no longer pasteurize.

Okay, so you're getting five gallons out of two trees. Maybe I'd get at least 7,5 gallons from mine then. Good to know! I might have a juicer although I don't think it's gonna be able to handle all the apples, might over heat if there is no pause with the apples.

Back