Three 2.5 gal kegs in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
SWMBO is being gracious enough to consider my moving to kegging even though space is limited in our apartment which we share with our two year old daughter.

I'm going a little crazy trying to research a mini fridge that will fit three 2.5 gallon kegs plus a 5# tank. A fridge is preferred so we can put it in the living room. A keezer would only fit in the nursery (SWMBO isn't crazy about that idea).

I can't find the specific information I'm looking for. I've been poring over HBT for three days straight.

I'm also an idiot with tools, and the concept of drilling through a fridge while avoiding coolant lines isn't filling me with any confidence. I see that kegco has a pre-fabricated version of what I'm looking for, but by the time I add in all the costs for it (perlick faucets and whatnot), it'll be over a grand - before purchasing a single keg!

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

As they say google is your friend. Do a search with homebrewtalk.com, mini fridge, & kegerator and you will get plenty of ideas / builds.

I find this method usually gets me better results than using the search function here on the site.

I appreciate the advice, but I've been there, done that. I haven't gotten much real work done lately (my boss hasn't noticed yet) - when I am focused on a topic, I get obsessed.

What I'm really trying to find out is if anyone knows of a specific model mini fridge that will fit three 2.5 gallon kegs plus the tank.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/3-kegs-mini-fridge-247197/

He managed to get 3 full sized kegs in one. Of course the CO2 had to be outside. So it would be feasible, just not sure about getting the CO2 in there as well. I am guessing stacking (2) 2.5 kegs would be to tall.

You sure you got that link right? It brings me to a thread about Bud Light... Unless you're trolling me haha :)

The link appears to be correct, 3 Kegs in a Mini-Fridge. For a quick run down. He built a small box on the front of the fridge to increase the depth. Attach the original door to the extension. Huzzah, more space. If you're wanting to buy something prebuilt, kegco has some decent looking stuff for three products quite a bit less than 1k. Not sure what your budget is though. These appear to come with towers or taps. So that wouldn't be extra.

Can you stack these 2.5 gal ones? I assume the quick disconnects might get in the way. But if even if you could, I don't know if they'd fit since they are taller than half of a 5 gallon keg (15" tall for the 2.5 gal and 25" tall for 5 gal).

Why not just go with 2 x 5 gal kegs?

I don't think they're stackable. I only do 2.5 gallon batches. Wouldn't all that extra headspace in a five gallon keg be an issue?

And I don't know what's wrong with my app- that link takes me to a random thread about bud light every time lol.

Kingbogart - you're right.. I was adding in the cost of commercial keg couplers by mistake. Looks like what I would want would cost about 750 (before tax and shipping). I would get five gallon kegs if the headspace isn't an issue - they're obviously cheaper. I also need to measure my cabinet space to see if they would fit where I currently condition my bottles.

Ok, looks like they wouldn't fit - my better bottles are 19 inches tall and they just barely fit. The new five gallon kegs are actually a couple of bucks more expensive anyway - I hadn't realized.

I think most might tell you that the headspace issue can be overcome, at the cost of using more CO2 for purging the headspace, prior to starting carbonation.

After that, you'll just have an equivalent depth of 2.5 gallons of CO2 for your headspace.

Similar to a full 5 gallon keg, with 2.5 gallons drank from it........

I would like to know differing opinions as well!

SWMBO is being gracious enough to consider my moving to kegging even though space is limited in our apartment which we share with our two year old daughter.

I'm going a little crazy trying to research a mini fridge that will fit three 2.5 gallon kegs plus a 5# tank. A fridge is preferred so we can put it in the living room. A keezer would only fit in the nursery (SWMBO isn't crazy about that idea).

I can't find the specific information I'm looking for. I've been poring over HBT for three days straight.

I'm also an idiot with tools, and the concept of drilling through a fridge while avoiding coolant lines isn't filling me with any confidence. I see that kegco has a pre-fabricated version of what I'm looking for, but by the time I add in all the costs for it (perlick faucets and whatnot), it'll be over a grand - before purchasing a single keg!

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

I know your ideal is a mini fridge but I think you should consider a Haier kegerator. I picked up a slightly used one including the 5# CO2 tank for &125!
It holds three 3 gal kegs. I upgraded the tower to a three tap system (another used HBT find).
Looks good w/ the SS door & tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think most might tell you that the headspace issue can be overcome, at the cost of using more CO2 for purging the headspace, prior to starting carbonation.

After that, you'll just have an equivalent depth of 2.5 gallons of CO2 for your headspace.

Similar to a full 5 gallon keg, with 2.5 gallons drank from it........

I would like to know differing opinions as well!

This makes sense...

I know your ideal is a mini fridge but I think you should consider a Haier kegerator. I picked up a slightly used one including the 5# CO2 tank for &125!
It holds three 3 gal kegs. I upgraded the tower to a three tap system (another used HBT find).
Looks good w/ the SS door & tower.

Is the Haier not a mini fridge? Where did you get yours at such a great price??

Is the Haier not a mini fridge? Where did you get yours at such a great price??

They make mini-fridges (I use one in my ale ferm chamber) & kegerators. I got mine as part of a guy selling all his equipment.

Back