Thread 1/2 thermometer port all the way through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stat

Reaction score
My Pot has two ports on the front, one sits under the false bottom and I use that to drain to the pump. The port above it I always assumed was threaded just like the bottom port. Turns out its not threaded all the way through to the inside of the pot.

I was thinking about just buying a 1/2-14 tap and running it through there to finish it off. So before I try that and potentially ruin my pot, does anyone know for sure if this will work?

I want to move the fitting screwed into the bottom port to the top port to recirculate the wort. It's just sitting there so we could get the curvature of the pipe lined up with the kettle wall.

There's a plug screwed into the other side right now.

Picture 1
picture 2

The top is a half coupler and can only be screwed in from one side. Running a tap through it will not change anything unfortunately.

Out of curiosity what kind of kettle is that?

––––––––––––––––––––––
TIG Welded Brewing Eq
www.spikebrewing.com

So got any ideas on how I can go about threading something 1/2" into the inside?

If I can't make the threads continue what about taking some sort of rotary tool and just making the end of the coupler disappear so the threads were exposed. Probably wouldn't be easy but I've got access to ton of tiny bits and a 1/3hp foredom.

Or am I missing something fundamental about this that makes those threads one way only.

You fundamentally will not be able to do it. Below is a picture of a 'full' coupler (your bottom coupler vs your 'half' (top coupler).

Threaded-half-coupling-and-Threaded-full-coupling.jpg

Back