Thoughts on using a stainless baster instead of a wine thief?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a stainless baster for this. Two concerns I had with it

1) at least my baster, has a threaded end for a injection needle, making sanitation a bigger concern. Not insurmountable but hard to see

2) length. If your fermenter is hard to get into, such as a carboy, the distance to the Head space matters. Some times on smaller batches my baster couldn't reach down to the beer through the neck.

Both are not huge deals. But something to consider

Good point about the length. However, I secondary in a SS brewbucket so getting into the beer isn't an issue.

I do appreciate your input. I need to check if the SS baster I'm considering has a threaded end. By "threaded end" do you mean the part with the bulb or the part that does into the liquid?

Yes, buckets do make length less of an issue.

I'm talking about the small end that goes in the beer...

I tried to take some up close pics. Hopefully they come through ok
1565484991776.jpeg
1565485041210.jpeg

OP , this is what I use for pulling samples. Purge it a few times with star San, then pull a sample. Tubing fits through the airlock hole no prob. To clean repeat the process with some pbw and fill with sanitizer for storage. DEPEPE 2pcs 100ml Large Plastic Syringe with 2pcs 47inch Handy Plastic Tubing and Luer Connections for Scientific Labs, Measuring, Watering, Refilling, Filtration, Feeding https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPFLKRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hK3tDb8YK2CPE

I don't get drawing hydrometer-size samples for gravity checks. Use a refractometer and a tiny plastic squeeze bulb sampler and any of the available calculators and you'll be within a point. Unless one has serious doubts about how a batch is running I don't see the added value of using an actual hydrometer and many ounces of beer...

Cheers!

I don't get drawing hydrometer-size samples for gravity checks. Use a refractometer and a tiny plastic squeeze bulb sampler and any of the available calculators and you'll be within a point. Unless one has serious doubts about how a batch is running I don't see the added value of using an actual hydrometer and many ounces of beer...

Cheers!

If bottling, it's arguably worthwhile to get a very accurate gravity reading, and repeat it later to make sure fermentation is finished. I use a narrow range bottling hydrometer that I can easily read to the nearest 0.00025 SG units. For kegging, I would also go with a refractometer.

I had considered doing away with this ritual, but I recently had two batches with very slow fermentation using MJ M54 yeast - I was really glad I had taken the gravity samples.

The Fermentech thief is so inexpensive,easy to clean and sanitize plus it allows you to get a sufficient samples with just one “dip” and you can see the volume of your sample it’s hard to ignore the advantages

I couldn't find the sample size on Midwest's website. Do you know if it can take an 8.5 oz sample?

I couldn't find the sample size on Midwest's website. Do you know if it can take an 8.5 oz sample?

I took my Fermtech and measured 6 oz. You can always take a second partial sample if needed 8.5 oz sounds like a large sample. I easily have enough for SG measurements and a taste with 5-6 oz

OP , this is what I use for pulling samples. Purge it a few times with star San, then pull a sample. Tubing fits through the airlock hole no prob. To clean repeat the process with some pbw and fill with sanitizer for storage. DEPEPE 2pcs 100ml Large Plastic Syringe with 2pcs 47inch Handy Plastic Tubing and Luer Connections for Scientific Labs, Measuring, Watering, Refilling, Filtration, Feeding https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPFLKRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hK3tDb8YK2CPE

Is the syringe food grade and non BPA? Checked the Amazon listing, but not seeing.

I took my Fermtech and measured 6 oz. You can always take a second partial sample if needed 8.5 oz sounds like a large sample. I easily have enough for SG measurements and a taste with 5-6 oz

Thanks. I use a narrow range bottling hydrometer - it takes about 8.5 oz.

I bought a stainless baster to use for that purpose but the description didn't mention the threads...I promptly returned it due to the sanitation concerns mentioned earlier. I have a wine thief, it just tends to leak air a bit...
I may go get a glass baster soon...

I too bought a large stainless baster, and found that (I ferment in a 15.5G keg) it wasn't long enough.. have been considering a stainless keg spear, maybe I can get the bulb to seat, maybe I don't need a bulb?
The wine thief doesn't quite do it either, and I end up taking 8 "samples" to get a reading.. eventually, I just ended up relying on the fact that yeast do their job over time, and a keg is not going to explode like a bottle(I hope, or the carnage would be worse..) so all my ales sit a little longer than they should.

Back