Thoughts on using a cold crash + filtration to halt fermenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peetaah

Reaction score
I have had good results following the recipes and processes outlined by CvilleKevin (best thread ever BTW), but I can't seem to get a complete halt to fermentation using the double cold crash approach. It will hold for a few months in a keg at about where I want it but then seems to start going drier and drier. I guess as long as I drink fast I am good to go :)

This implies to me that I haven't successfully removed enough of the yeast (s-04) through the crashing process. I was thinking about forking over the $60 for a plate filter and then replacing the second crash with a run through the filter instead. The first crash seems to bring about pretty high clarity so I think I could get away with doing a single pass with a fine enough filter to pull out the remaining yeast.

Below are my assumptions about the results-- if you have any experience or contradicting opinions, please chime in:
  • This will remove a high enough percentage of the yeast to completely stop fermentation
  • This will improve the clarity of the cider
  • This will not have an adverse effect on the flavor of the cider and may even improve flavor with the reduction of yeast/particles
  • This will not remove anything "important" from the cider

Does this sound like it is worth the investment of time and tools??

I use this technique often (double crash and filter that it) and it's really dependent on the filtration level achieved. I find that around 1 micron filtration removes just about everything and leaves the cider pretty darn clear. That being said, it's not a sterile filtration and some yeast is getting through for sure, but so long as you're keeping the keg refrigerated you should prevent any more drying out. If the keg is going to be warm for any extended amount of time, consider stabilizing with sulfites & sorbate.

It'll definitely improve clarity and filtration can help minimize any sulfur aromas that may be present too.

Back