Thoughts on this Sanitizer/cleaner ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to get . Initially was considering using IPA or paracetic acid as sanitiser which could be sprayed... I did not know what to purchase as a primary cleaner like Oxyclean or PBW cause I don't get them here. I was wondering if I could use this as a sanitiser to be sprayed and as a primary cleaner .. U can tell I'm pretty confused about what I'm gonna do about keeping my setup clean as I'm pretty new to home brewing.

http://www.amway.in/store/amway/en/...ursue-Disinfectant-Cleaner(500-ml)/p/E7506IDL

Other products i found are

http://www.amway.in/store/amway/en/...trated-Dishwashing-Liquid(500-ml)/p/116512IDK

http://www.amway.in/store/amway/en/...ers/L-O-C-™-Multi-Purpose(500-ml)/p/116511IDL

But I thing this first link is what I need . Thoughts please

The problem is whether there is any residual on the items you're disinfecting, which may lead to bad flavors or worse, toxic whatever.

Your best bet on sanitizer is Star-San. Can be used as a soak, as a spray, and residual foam or wetness is not a problem.

The problem is whether there is any residual on the items you're disinfecting, which may lead to bad flavors or worse, toxic whatever.

Your best bet on sanitizer is Star-San. Can be used as a soak, as a spray, and residual foam or wetness is not a problem.

I don't get star San here ... Hence the need to look for equivalent substitutes ... So IPA or Peracetic acid as sanitizer ? .... I'm not sure what kind of product I will get here similar to oxyclean or PBW as there aren't available where I live

That Amway Pursue cleaner is a household disinfectant, something akin to Lysol, etc. It's intended for disinfecting floors, countertops, etc. I would not recommend using that on brewing gear, as the residue could be harmful.

If you cannot obtain Starsan where you live, see if a restaurant supply might have some kind of food-grade sanitizer.

I don't get star San here ... Hence the need to look for equivalent substitutes ... So IPA or Peracetic acid as sanitizer ? .... I'm not sure what kind of product I will get here similar to oxyclean or PBW as there aren't available where I live

Where is "here"?

That Amway Pursue cleaner is a household disinfectant, something akin to Lysol, etc. It's intended for disinfecting floors, countertops, etc. I would not recommend using that on brewing gear, as the residue could be harmful.

If you cannot obtain Starsan where you live, see if a restaurant supply might have some kind of food-grade sanitizer.

You might also check on what bars use to clean and sanitize glasses (which may be what MaxStout is referring to). A typical bar cleaning setup has three sinks. Sink 1 is some sort of detergent to clean the glass. Sink 2 is clean water to rinse the glass. Sink 3 is a sanitizer. It's what they put in that 3rd sink that you want.

Peracetic Acid (PAA) is fine as a sanitizer. It has a broader range of efficacy than star san and is the most common sanitizer used by commercial brewing operations. At 200 ppm paa it can be used as no rinse. The down side is it is more hazardous and the fumes of the concentrate can be overwhelming. This is easily overcome with proper ppe amd by diluting in a well ventilated area.
As far as a cleaner, there is most likely a percarbonate based cleaner availalable in your area. Knowing the area would be helpful.

Latest posts

Back