Thoughts on this "recipe?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citingzero

Reaction score
I decided to support our local co-op (and see if I could piece together a recipe cheaper than having a kit shipped from Midwest supplies). I based it off of midwest's honey amber ale. I think it should be okay.

5# amber dme
2# honey
10oz caramel 80L (Midwest calls for 8oz but I accidentally got 2 extra when measuring)
8oz chocolate grains (oops again on the measuring. Midwest called for 2 oz special b and 2 oz roasted specialty grains but the co-op was out)
.5oz chinook (Midwest said galena)
1oz fuggles

Seems ok to me. Any glaring problems that I'm missing? Should I worry about measuring the grains out to midwest's amounts or just rock it with what I got? They are just steeping grains anyway...

I decided to support our local co-op (and see if I could piece together a recipe cheaper than having a kit shipped from Midwest supplies). I based it off of midwest's honey amber ale. I think it should be okay.

5# amber dme
2# honey
10oz caramel 80L (Midwest calls for 8oz but I accidentally got 2 extra when measuring)
8oz chocolate grains (oops again on the measuring. Midwest called for 2 oz special b and 2 oz roasted specialty grains but the co-op was out)
.5oz chinook (Midwest said galena)
1oz fuggles

Seems ok to me. Any glaring problems that I'm missing? Should I worry about measuring the grains out to midwest's amounts or just rock it with what I got? They are just steeping grains anyway...

I don't like amber DME because it's also got crystal malt in it. So you're essentially doubling up on the crystal. If you can't get pale or light, then amber it is but I'm not a huge fan of it.

The chocolate will make a roasty beer, compared to special b. If you want a slightly roasty beer, then I think you'll be happy with this.

It is going to be a dry honey porter. Looks low on hops, but I haven't run any numbers. Might be fine. Give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back