Thoughts on this Christmas Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonHomeBruin

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd like to brew something a little different for this winter. My girlfriend doesn't like really dark beers so I wanted to make something for the winter that isn't too boozy or heavy. I'm using some DME that's left over from another batch and I want to experiment with naked oats since they sound interesting.

Any idea how this will turn out? Seems like it could be a spicy amber ale. Note that this is just a 3 gallon batch.

I know I won't be able to drink this by Christmas, but I'd like it to have some holiday flavors.

Here's the info from Brewtoad:

Extract with specialty grains
OG:1.064 OG
FG: 1.017 FG
33 IBU
6.2% ABV
11 SRM
0.53 IBU/OG

Efficiency: 75.0% Batch size: 3.0 gal

Fermentable
Briess Pilsen Light DME 2.0 lb 33% Boil 44 2 °L
Caramel/Crystal 40L (US) 1.0 lb 16% Steep 34 40 °L
Golden Naked Oats (UK) 1.0 lb 16% Steep 33 10 °L
Briess Bavarian Wheat DME 1.0 lb 16% Boil 43 3 °L
Honey 1.0 lb 16% Boil 35 1 °L

Hops Boil time: 60 min
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 20 min Boil Pellet

Yeasts
Wyeast British Ale Wyeast 1098

Extras
Irish Moss 1.0 tbs 15.0 min Boil
Bitter Orange Peel 0.25 oz 5.0 min Boil
Nutmeg (Ground) 1.0 tsp 5.0 min Boil
Cinnamon (Ground) 1.0 tsp 5.0 min Boil

I think you're probably out of time if you were planning on making this for Christmas, even if you were able to ferment and bottle (or keg) it in time, a beer of this gravity would be too green to serve 20 days from now. Other than that, it looks like an interesting brew.

I never used "naked oats" but I have the feeling they need to be crushed, gelatinized (cooked) and then mashed with some 2-row.

If you don't mind drinking flat green beer, yeah you can have it by Christmas, or New Year.

I should clarify and say that I wanted to be able to enjoy this over the winter. I wanted to brew it in time for Christmas but I took too long coming up with the recipe. I just want it to be available sometime this winter. Thanks.

UPDATE: I brewed this bad boy on Sunday. I got a lot of color from the specialty grains, and tried a little mini mash on the stovetop. The OG was way higher than expected-- roughly 1.080! That seems way too high, since I was expecting 1.064. It tastes nice and sweet, I definitely could taste some of the berry, nutty flavors from the naked oats and some sweetness from the honey.

I checked on Monday and fermentation had started. The airlock was bubbling and a lot of krausen had developed. I can see clumps of stuff floating around, and a lot of trub on the bottom already, so I will be sure to give this a secondary and possibly re-rack again.

sounds good, wondering if you mixed it thoroughly since you came up so far off on the gravity? Why exactly are you doing a secondary?

sounds good, wondering if you mixed it thoroughly since you came up so far off on the gravity? Why exactly are you doing a secondary?

I probably didn't mix enough, agreed. The wort went into a 3 gallon carboy so I just picked it up and shook it to mix.

I rerack at least once to filter put all the trub. It seems to help clear it up. The only beers I don't do a secondary for are wheat ales.

Looks like a nice little Christmasy brew. However, next time with the honey I would say to add it to secondary and give yourself a little more aging time before the holidays maybe? ;)

Looks like a nice little Christmasy brew. However, next time with the honey I would say to add it to secondary and give yourself a little more aging time before the holidays maybe? ;)

Yeah, it took me a little too long to decide on the recipe. At least this way I'll be able to keep the holidays going by enjoying Christmas flavors in February. :tank:

Back