Thoughts on putting yeast in fermenter first then pouring wort on top of it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamG

Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering if putting the Yeast in the fermenter first and then pouring the wort on top of it to mix it in would be a good idea.

I know some people stir the wort after pitching. I don't, I just pour it on top and put the lid on.

What do you think ?

CamG

The point you add the yeast (assuming the wort is chilled to pitching temp) is probably of less importance than how much you oxygenate the wort.

I you took a poll on HBT, you'd probably find most folks 1) rack chilled wort to the fermenter, 2) oxygenate it by shaking several minutes or inserting an oxygen stone for 30-60 secs, 3) add yeast and maybe then stir/shake a little to be sure the yeast disperses into the wort.

I wouldn't worry about stirring the yeast after it is pitched. Whether you agitate the yeast or not shouldn't make a difference as long as the wort is aerated prior to pitching. That being said, traditionally the beer is not agitated after the yeast is pitched. Adding the wort on top of the yeast would be the same as stirring after pitching in my mind. It shouldn't be harmful to the yeast as long as the wort added is at the temperature you want ferment at. Splitting a batch and pitching the yeast in different ways may be an interesting experiment, but I would expect the differences (if any) to be too small to detect between batches.

I always think about doing this whenever I'm cleaning up after a brew session and see I forgot to pitch the yeast and it's still sitting on the counter. Doh!

The reason I don't is because prior to transferring my wort, my carboy is fully foamed up and saturated in StarSan. I figure I need to dilute that down with the wort and give the yeast a fighting chance. I can't imagine that StarSan somehow will only kill 'bad' things, yet not kill 'good' yeast when exposed in those concentrations.

I've always spread the yeast on top and i have done both stir and let it settle. I've had Similar results both times so i can't personally say it would affect it too much (as long as the wort isn't too hot for the yeast) :)

This is actually the way I thought you were supposed to do it! I put the yeast in the bucket and open the valve to my brew pot and let the wort drop from a meter or so to create a big mix of foam and help oxygenate the mix.

The reason I don't is because prior to transferring my wort, my carboy is fully foamed up and saturated in StarSan. I figure I need to dilute that down with the wort and give the yeast a fighting chance. I can't imagine that StarSan somehow will only kill 'bad' things, yet not kill 'good' yeast when exposed in those concentrations.

I've considered that same thing and avoid mixing yeast directly with starsan. I don't have the knowledge to prove either way but we know sanitizer eliminates microbes and that's what yeast is.

I use to add it while I was filling the carboy, then once I started using O2, I just dump it in when I'm done. I really don't think it matters much, once the yeast starts doing it's thing, it stirs itself.

Whether you agitate the yeast or not shouldn't make a difference as long as the wort is aerated prior to pitching. That being said, traditionally the beer is not agitated after the yeast is pitched.

Oh boy, I'm totally confused now. I use a 4G square bucket and have always poured the wort, pitched, beat that lid on, and then shake and shake. Is this completely wrong?

Taking the lid off is no fun whatsoever, on once, off once..

Oh boy, I'm totally confused now. I use a 4G square bucket and have always poured the wort, pitched, beat that lid on, and then shake and shake. Is this completely wrong?

Taking the lid off is no fun whatsoever, on once, off once..

That's what I sometimes do. Never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back