Thoughts on Dubbel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled this yesterday. I measured the gravity and it was higher than when I added it the secondary??? At secondary time I measured 1.009...at bottling it was 1.013 wtf...is this possible (I corrected for temp)?

Anyway the sample was delicious. Bottled it up in 22oz bottles.

I'm storing the bottles @ about 66 degrees (in a friends basement). It that a suitable temp?

My only other option is 80 degrees + at my place (no basement, no A/C)

Just bottled this yesterday. I measured the gravity and it was higher than when I added it the secondary??? At secondary time I measured 1.009...at bottling it was 1.013 wtf...is this possible (I corrected for temp)?

Anyway the sample was delicious. Bottled it up in 22oz bottles.

When you did the gravity reading at bottling, had you already added the priming sugar? That's the only explanation I can think of. You should measure the gravity first, then add the priming sugar.

signpost said:
When you did the gravity reading at bottling, had you already added the priming sugar? That's the only explanation I can think of. You should measure the gravity first, then add the priming sugar.

Yes I always measure directly from secondary (B4 priming sugar). Seems strange I assume I did/or read something wrong. I wasn't drunk either! I promise. Cheers!

smizak said:
who cares? I don't get so caught up with gravity readings anymore, as long as it's not ridiculous.

I wasn't caught up...just figured I'd ask it never happened to me before but, then again I consider myself a rookie.

I'll report back after I crack the first 22!

I cracked the first 22oz the other day. My first impression is that it is a little heavy on raisin flavor...that's almost all I can taste (my taste buds are not that complex) but, the beer is good overall. I would prefer it to be a little sweeter. The color seems darker than predicted. I'll post a pick when I pour the next glass.

I like the raisin flavor but, I do not want it to dominate...any recommendations?

Belgians should finish dry, but sweetness should be evident at first, mainly because of alcohol. Belgians with too much residual sweetness in the finish make them undrinkable. When I encounter them when I judge, it's a big detraction. So good that it's a little dry if you're worried about style. Of course, your taste is another issue.

The raisin flavor will mellow. Give it a week or two cold conditioning. You'll be happy, your recipe looks pretty good.

Back