Thoughts for a 2.5g batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor447

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just going to try an all grain batch... I really like the flavor of the munich grains so might as well start out with them. Adding the carapils for some body/head - might be too much? Caramel for additional colors

4 lbs Munich
1 lb 2 row
.5 lbs caramel 10
.5 lbs carapils

Cascade for 60
Fuggle for flame out

SA 04 I was thinking more than likely.

No fancy flavoring.. just a well pooring bodied beer.

Thoughts?

Munich is plenty dark on its own and very tasty as a SMASH beer. I've done that twice now and it's been great both times. You might like to skip everything else and just use the Munich.

Munich is plenty dark on its own and very tasty as a SMASH beer. I've done that twice now and it's been great both times. You might like to skip everything else and just use the Munich.

Perhaps the carapils - skip the caramel?

And if thats the case go 5 lbs munich 1/2 lb carapils?

cascade / fuggle?

I found that doing 5 lbs in a 2.5 gal batch is about perfect. Gets you a OG of around 1.050. The way I did it was really to emphasize the malt, so I just did a small hop addition at 60 up to 25 or 30 IBU. I saw other recipes where others had really good results with later hop additions. Just comes down to whichever hop you prefer. Cheers!

You could ditch the carapils, and probably the 10 as well. It'll lend some body/sweetness, but you'll likely not need it with a big munich base. Are you going for malty? You'll get it from the munich, but if you want richer/sweeter, darker caramel malts will add that. It's hard to tell what your OG will be dince you don't have an efficiency calculated for your system, but I'd err on the side of malty this time of year, and if you get great efficiency, you'll just have a bigger, thicker beer!

For science, I'd only use munich. Then, adjust based on your impressions. That is the benefit of 2.5 gallons!

For science, I'd only use munich. Then, adjust based on your impressions. That is the benefit of 2.5 gallons!

Arggghhhh... WHY do people always seem to have to ask this question.

So many reasons.. Like a fast turnover.. like to experiment.. if it bombs not so much to toss.. think of your possible reasons.

That's my favorite size batch. Sure.. same work.. I like brewing.. gives me more opportunity to learn from my past brews.

Back to your comment.. "for science".. "then adjust" Easier to make adjustments with small batches w/o having to consume 5 or more gallons before the next try.

I must not have been clear. I wasn't trying to ask, "why 2.5 gallons?" Note the lack of a question mark in favor of an exclamation mark. :) I love the idea of doing 2.5 gallon batches! I think you are smart for doing it. You get to brew twice the number of batches most people do!

My point was to make the most of it by starting with the simplest grain bill. Then you have a baseline for what that single malt gives you. You'll be better able to add specialty malts to fix any deficiencies you notice.

Basically, by starting simpler, you get to learn what each individual malt does.

If you've got the fermeter space you could try doubling your munich and pale malt and then split the batch after lautering and steep the carapils/crystal in one half and leave the other half as it is ie; brew two beers.

Though you'd need two kettles and burners, or be willing to extend your day.

I just submitted a write-up recommending a more-extensive version of that two-beers philosophy--small batches and greater variety. I hope they publish it. You're the first person I've seen recommend it, but it's such an awesome technique.

You could also split the batch post-boil and just bring your steep up to a boil after removing the grains.

I dont have the capabilities of doing a split batch etc.. But at the brew store my final buyout.. Home brew store asked if I was working on an Oktoberfest :)

4 Lbs Munich
1 lb 2row
1/2 lb carapils
1oz Cascade
1oz of fuggles
SA-04

I'm thinking of doing
.5 oz Cascade for 60
1oz fuggle in for the last 10
at 2 mins out dropping the rest of the cascade in

I'll get some measurements etc on the OG/FG as I brew it. Going to be doing that later this afternoon/tonight while enjoying some brew and watching the hockey game.

Leithoa said:
If you've got the fermeter space you could try doubling your munich and pale malt and then split the batch after lautering and steep the carapils/crystal in one half and leave the other half as it is ie; brew two beers.

Though you'd need two kettles and burners, or be willing to extend your day.

I'm doing this today. Will steeping grains that do not require mash separately from my mashed grains have any negative effect? Or will it be exactly the same as if they were included in the mash?

tennesseean_87 said:
I just submitted a write-up recommending a more-extensive version of that two-beers philosophy--small batches and greater variety. I hope they publish it. You're the first person I've seen recommend it, but it's such an awesome technique.

You could also split the batch post-boil and just bring your steep up to a boil after removing the grains.

Please post the link in this thread if it gets published. I'm doing this 2 beers/one batch thing today. I'd love to read your stuff.

With [url="http://beersmith.com/blog/2009/03/22/steeping-grains-for-extract-beer-brewing/]steeping grains[/url] it's less about sugar and more about color/flavor compounds. You can put them in a grain bag and toss that in the kettle while you slowly(~20min) bring it to a boil. Just be sure you take them out before the boil starts otherwise you risk tannin extraction. You probably lose some efficiency with this technique but I don't know exactly how much.

mjohnson.. apologies.. my bad. You said "That is the point..." I read "What is the point...."

Sorry, went off half cocked :(

No worries. Its a common argument. I did 3 gallon batches for a long time because I was stuck doing it on the stovetop, but still wanted to do all grain. I really enjoyed it.

I bought a second 5 gallon kettle yesterday and brewed 2 batches from one mash of base grains! Excited about this method, and this will probably be how I do every brew day from here on out. I steeped in a small >1 gallon pot and the poured into the kettle.
Apparently I did not split the wort evenly though, but I thought I was being pretty judicious about it. One batches apparent efficiency was 64%, the other 83%...

Hey bud, did this ever get published? If not, could you send it to me? Thanks!

It's under review, so I'm not sure I'm supposed to be spreading it around. I posted some preliminary thoughts here. I'm not sure if/when I'll get a yes or no on its acceptance.

Back