Thoughts and experience with wlp007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
Looking for some info on this yeast. I have made 2 brews so far with it. It claims to be a English yeast, but I get very little ester production. Is this how this yeast performs? I do like the finished product , but was expecting something a little more "englishy" . don't get me wrong. I brewed a smash with briess pale ale malt and citra, and it is delicious! I have another ipa fermenting now with the same yeast. Just was looking for others thoughts on this strain. Tia!

I just fermented a pale ale that I brewed 6 days ago. I did a 1000mL starter, pitched at 67F, and fermented in my basement, which is mid-60s ambient. It began fermenting within a few hours at what I would call medium-vigorously, not still, but not going bananas like hefe yeast, and on the third day the yeast dropped like a rock. I don't think I've seen a brighter beer in the fermenter at 3 days in a long time. I pulled for a hydrometer reading and it went from 1.057 down to 1.009 in 4 days. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it was very clean for an English yeast. I would say it falls in between most English yeasts and 001/1056/Chico. I wonder if fermenting warmer would bring out a more "English" ester profile.

I just fermented a pale ale that I brewed 6 days ago. I did a 1000mL starter, pitched at 67F, and fermented in my basement, which is mid-60s ambient. It began fermenting within a few hours at what I would call medium-vigorously, not still, but not going bananas like hefe yeast, and on the third day the yeast dropped like a rock. I don't think I've seen a brighter beer in the fermenter at 3 days in a long time. I pulled for a hydrometer reading and it went from 1.057 down to 1.009 in 4 days. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it was very clean for an English yeast. I would say it falls in between most English yeasts and 001/1056/Chico. I wonder if fermenting warmer would bring out a more "English" ester profile.

I fermented my smash at 68 and it does kind of seem like a cross of chico and a english strain. ferments quick, and drops out like nothng else. Time will tell how it is on the chinook IPA that I brewed last weekend. Thanks for the reply. :mug:

If you do it at say 19-20c you will get some English character but not as much as say WLP002. It also makes a great "house" strain and floccs hard!

brewed what was supposed to be a pumpkin imperial ale using 007 and it went from OG 1.118 to FG 1.008 with step feeding and additional pitch

93% attenuation bumped it up to a barleywine. didn't turn out too good; no temperature control, among other things

3 years later, still have a 6 pack left. haven't tasted it in a while. saving it for competition in November

Hahahahaa. "Bananas like a hefe yeast" is that a clever pun?

I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout with it, and it was kind of scary. (Sorry, long reply)

The Mr Malty yeast calculator said I needed 7 Liters of starter on a stir plate from 2 vials of yeast. (11 gallon batch, gravity of 1.090) I have a 2 Liter Erlenmeyer, so I did 2 Liters with one vial, poured that into a sanitized container, made 3 more liters of starter wort, and poured 1 liter with the first part of the starter and the other 2 went on the stir plate in the Erlenmeyer with the second vial.

I started it at 64 F. It took off like a rocket. Krausen overflowed from the 15 gallon fermenter (this almost never happens) Then the light bulb I use to keep temperature up blew out(chest freezer is in a shed, and it was January). Temperature dropped to 56 F before I discovered that. Quickly replaced the bulb and brought it back to 64 F.

Three days later, gravity was in the 30s, but it was very solventy and fusels were prominent. A couple of days later it smelled like nail polish remover. I thought I was going to have to throw it away.

After 2 weeks on the yeast, it was merely harsh. I left it as long as I was comfortable with, and kegged half of it (FG, 1.020). The other half I put in a carboy at 68 F with B. claussenii from late February to mid-June (FG so far 1.016).

After a couple of month of cold storage in the keg, the original portion was very very good. The Brett portion is kegged now and is also very very good. I'll probably bottle that as I don't want to get Brett in my taps.

Back