Thought on ManPorter - Mango Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksquid

Reaction score
Recipe: ManPorter
Brewer: blacksquid
Style: Baltic Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal

Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated FG: 1.018
Estimated Color: 33.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Mash @ 152F for 60 minutes.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name %/IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 77.2 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 10.5 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 5.3 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 3.5 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 1.8 %
0.25 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) 1.8 %
1.0 oz Chinook [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 34.3 IBUs
0.5 oz Chinook [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 13.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)
1.0 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
5 lb Mango purée

^ I'm thinking that the latest hop addition will actually be a gin/hop infusion (2 cups of Bombay Sapphire/1oz Cascade) but might just be a waste of precious gin.

Too sweet? Not enough? Too 'complex'? Should I mash 2F higher? Falls into the BCJP guidelines for FG but I may cut in the speciality grain dept. It's my 6th recipe so far and kinda wanna go for something a bit more 'extreme'.

I would sub 1 lb of that crystal 60 and 1 or two of 2 row for 2 or 3 lbs of light munich. I actually brew a baltic porter with 65% munich 25% pils as the base.

Could probably drop the carapils too.

I have no useful input about either the gin or mango.

A little too complex. I don't know if the peat smoked malt among all of the fruit flavors would work. Maybe subbing the chinook with a more citrusy hop would accentuate the mango. I would save that gin and use dark rum instead.

I like the idea a lot though. I was thinking of a mango IPA.

Thanks for your input guys! I cut a bit of the C60L to add 1lb of Munich 20L and kept the Carapils and 2-row as-is as I wanna finish the bags I have on hand. I'd have used flaked Barley instead of the Carapils.

I may also swap the fruit and dry hops to 1oz of Citra instead, will probably cut through better but keep the fruity mango flavour.

Back