Those annoying ball valve sliding lock things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do with 'em? Anybody actually want them there?

I've never felt like I needed to have my valves locked into open or closed position. They don't move on their own.

The sliding lock things are really annoying. Do you take them off? Tape 'em out of the way? Any other suggestions?

I ripped them off all my ball valves. They don't seem like a good idea for hot applications, and like you said the valves don't open or close on their own.

Totally agree. I removed the pita sliders from every ball valve I have - including the ones I bought from Bobby.
Life is good ;)

Cheers!

I removed the handle then had to use a die grinder. It was kind of a pain.

Those are lockouts, not needed except in industrial applications where you would want to padlock it for safety reasons.

fwiw, I have 2-way 3pc valves from Blichmann, brewhardware.com and another store whose name escapes me at the moment.
I was able to remove the slider/lock thingies from all of them by using a stout screwdriver blade to pry the two ends away from the underside of the handle until they could be slipped off (had to remove the vinyl grips first).

Gotta say Bobby's valves had the sturdiest locks. Almost had to get out the Dremel with a cutting disk for those...

Cheers!

Back