Thomas Cooper Wheat Beer Kit -- HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themartinezmafia

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm planning on using the Thomas Cooper Wheat Beer liquid extract kit someone recently gave me for my birthday. The instructions that come with these kits are extremely confusing so I have some questions. Does anyone have a step by step recipe they can provide. Here is a list of the ingredients I've purchased on top of the liquid extract.

1. dextrose
2. 3lbs of dry light malt extract
3. wheat beer yeast (recommended by my LHBS)

Is there anything else I need? Should I use bottled water or is tap okay? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tap water can be ok, but if you have chlorine or other junk in there it can be bad. I use Reverse Osmosis.
Sanitize everything. Then...
Basically, you heat up the can of extract, dump it into the fermenter. (Boil a bit of water to add to the can to get all the goodness out.)
Toss in your 3lbs of DME (dry malt extract) into your fermenter. to join your canned kit.
Add some more boiling water (maybe a litre/quart or so) and mix that stuff together in the bottom of the fermenter.
Top up to 5gal (or 6 depending on your kit) with your water.
Take your gravity reading, but don't stress much if it's high or low (not worth your blood pressure going up, if it's weird, it's probably because no boil kits don't mix evenly sometimes)
Aim for 20 C ish (68 F) before adding your yeast packet. Mix or don't, it up to you. If you're out add boiling or chilled water to adjust.
Put a lid on it and walk. away. for at least 10 days, I aim for 3 weeks.
The dextrose comes in later when you're bottling. Don't add it to your fermenter, it thins out your beer and makes it taste cidery in larger amounts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/faq-please-read-before-asking-question-7909/#post4983815
lots of good stuff here.

Back